Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2012 off-center gizmo on selection

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
I have an annoying problem that I for some reason just can't get my head around. I have installed 3DS Max on my new SSD, and was doing some modelling, and then ran into the problem that the gizmo doesn't go into the center of my selections, whether it is subselection of vertexs like below, or selection of objects. It's like it's center with something else. Could I have hit a button that did something? (did forget to disable Keyboard Shortcut Overide Toggle when I started editing, and maybe I hit something?)

Replies

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one knows what might be the problem? I know its not the pivot, since it's actually in the middle of the objects, it just happens when selecting several objects/vertexs.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Have you tried the various pivot and axis modes to see if anything helps there? also, If you have any scripts that mess with the Working Pivot they could be doing something too.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    change to world and use selection center. its where you see "view" in your screen grab and the "boxes" to the right of the "view" box. See if that works.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    There's no issue on the pic you've posted. Pivot is at the barycenter of your vertices, not at the center of the bounding box. Not sure that was what you meant.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you have 8 vertices below, and 6 vertices above. The center is weighted by the number and positions of the items in the set.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, that's strange, it's a fresh installation, because I got a new harddisk. I just seem to remember when I usually selected vertexs, it would place the gizmo in the middle of min/max, allowing you to snap everything with the center. So that means the more vertex you have in one direction, it will always have the gizmo towards that? Is there no way to actually having it do the center of the min/max of selection, instead of average (which I find to be a bit useless).
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I don't really see any trouble with your gizmo. Can you select it and center it yourself ?

1 vertex - 200 vertices.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    "So that means the more vertex you have in one direction, it will always have the gizmo towards that? "
    Yes.
    "Is there no way to actually having it do the center of the min/max of selection, instead of average (which I find to be a bit useless)."
    I don't think so, unless you use a predefined object/parent/working pivot. Also your selection bounding box can be set infinite ways. Could be along parent object or world i guess.
    But it has nothing to do with your install or ssd :)
    Can't say it has ever been an issue tho. Why does it bother you ?

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh its more a process issue, I'm often aligning something to the center of something else, but its been a while since I had the program opened, and felt it was awkward, so maybe I had something else installed or its a memory from something from another program. I don't know, it just felt more natural that the gizmo would be in the center of selection instead of being weighted towards where most vertex was. Just did a quick test and yeah it does the same with selected objects, so I guess its normal.