Home General Discussion

Undertale

mod
I'm kind of surprised there was no thread about this yet, so I felt compelled to make one.

"Undertale - The RPG game where you don't have to destroy anyone."
undertale_logo.png

Undertale is an indie game made by Toby Fox that came out recently:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/

It's a very surprising and rewarding game. The music is fucking awesome, the writing and humor are on point, and it's full of great moments. I cannot really do it enough justice and I suggest you check out what is a great experience and in my opinion one of the best games of the year without question.

The graphics might be 'dated' to some, but they're more than adequate for what the game is, plus it definitely grows on you over the course of the game and the characters have loads of personality despite the low amount of pixels. This will without a doubt become one of the games that everyone draws fanart and does music covers of.

I'm not really sure how much more I can say, outside of give it a go. I guess the best advice I have is: DON'T. KILL. ANYONE. I don't want to say anything more than that, haha! I absolutely recommend going in blind, as this is the type of game that can be spoiled in certain ways. The biggest comparisons people have made as far as being similar to other games have been "Earthbound" and "Lisa", though Undertale is still very much its own thing. It takes around 6-9 hours to complete.

Replies

• pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    This is probably the best game of the past few years.

Its actually a really sad game. It probably the saddest game I've played. The story has the same feel of the Futurama episode called Jurassic Bark. People say it is funny, but the humour is mostly black comedy except from a few characters.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    im about 5 hours in. I love it.
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    I killed someone once. I felt like crap for it.

Seriously great game. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypvg1WC-m-Y"]Dat soundtrack too[/ame]
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    So many dogs that need petting.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand how people can do genocide runs. I mean a ghost showed me his music collection. How am I supposed to kill a cool ghost like that?
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for posting this. Ha no idea it existed. Will have a look!
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the pacifist ending. Now I am depressed.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well, I guess I'll buy it off word of mouth and watching the first 5 minutes. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Easily my game of the year, even beating out Bloodborne. The most I've enjoyed and been moved by a game in years.
    There is a lot I can write about how incredibly clever and groundbreaking it is in its structure and use of gameplay as narrative, but I would have to venture deep into spoiler territory.

I beat it yesterday on a pure pacifist run, and was able to get the true ending a bit later. I have no intention of going back and replaying it to see the extra content I didn't get through pacifism. The closure of the end was so satisfying I don't feel there is much more I can get out of it. And I have become so attached to the characters I coudn't bear to do a genocide run. I made the mistake of looking up a compliation video of the differences in a genocide run, and I could only make it through ten minutes beforeI had to stop watching, and I've been in a melancholic mood all day as a result. I'm amazed at how deeply that game has moved me.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    I agree whole heartedly, this is an interesting tale filled with interesting fellows, cool locals, and some of the best VG music I've heard in quite some time. Reminds of games from days of yore, I did the pacifist run on my first try; however I don't think I could bring myself to do the genocide run either. I only wish this title was a bit longer and more interesting areas to traverse, that's all.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just finished the neutral and true ending. I definitely enjoyed it, kinda wish I wasn't guided to do a pacifist run as my first play through, from the bits I read about online before playing. I think it would of been a better experience if I had regret and had to play through it again. Because now, the game kinda guilt trips you no to get the last ending. There isn't much replay value if you do the neutral and true endings first.

The game is also very linear, so the lack of direction at times, and opportunities to explore, but find nothing to do, were annoying. Also I wish it was a bit more clear when you were butting your head against a wall, I had to look up how to handle one of the bosses online. The non combat was a lot more interesting than the puzzles, which was kinda disappointing