Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lamb - Portfolio Critique.

lamb
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lamb polycounter lvl 7
Hello Dear All,

I have recently succesfully quit my boring job and aim for an internship /or possibly job/ at a game studio. I have created a list of 11 studios that I absolutely adore and want to contact them shortly according to their guidelines and their offers. I am doing something like this for the first time and I want everything to be perfect (because even then it won't be perfect).

There are several questions I am not entirely sure about. I do not think I can write a good accompanying letter. How much do I suck up to the company when writing it? (those are all companies that make amazing stuff). What do I tell them to convince them that I want the job so so bad and am the right candidate without any proper experience or academic background? Do I talk about my motivations? How much?

I like working in smaller teams, is that an advantage?

There is also the issue of my portfolio. I recently started concentrating on stuff I like painting which is character design, although I still make the odd car or environment concept.

chronoray.tumblr.com/

I know there is a whole wiki devoted to porfolios. I would appreciate any tips for better presentation. But I am more curious if there is anything fundamentally wrong with my pieces, what I am missing, what should I be showing off and how?

Thank you in advance for any tips!

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    The link isnt working.

as for advice, be yourself, be honest. if you adore these companies then that will show through. don't come of as a fanboy though. I would also recommend matching your portfolio to the style the studio is going for.
  • lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, now the link should work. Thanks fo letting me know lotet. Not sure what happened there.

Don't think I am a fanboy. They are objectively great... is there a difference?
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I find that a fanboy, is really in love with the idea of working for a company. But not very often, willing to put in the work and dedication.
    I wouldnt suck up too much, ITs good to let them know you're really into their work. (Which is why you're applying in the first place probably), but dont over do it. Kind of like asking someone out for a date; you wouldnt tell them you love them on the first night would you?
    Personally, I'd have it so I didnt have to scroll for the pictures. Some click-able thumbnails would be my way to go.
    As far as convincing, make yourself an asset, give them a reason to want you. Simply wanting to be there is usually not enough. Let your work speak for you.
    Dont make your CL(coverletter.a wall of text. Chances are they don t have the time to get through it, if its more than a paragraph or two.
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    I would avoid putting B/W and unfinished work in your portfolio. Those are likely to scare off potential employers.
    Also if you wanna do character design for games you have to actually show that you are thinking through your design, show bits of your process and make sheets that could be used by modelers to actually build your concepts (turnarounds, callouts for textures and props etc.)

I'd like you to consider taking a 2 months mentorship with Anthony Jones if you can because I feel like you could benefit a ton from that.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say your portfolio needs to be more robust... and probably focus your work on one particular field. Sad as I am to say it, the industry is rife with good concept artists. If I were you I'd think of every possible sub-category of artist that exists and then hit up places to see how many people are looking for work with those skills. When you find one with a lack of supply - focus your attention there :D My general hint is it isn't concept art (which is admittedly the most fun).

I think your work is decent, but the problem is you're going to be stuck competing with people who are excellent with a ton of experience and formal training. At anyrate, I wish you luck!
  • lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you guys. I am working on it. Changed the layout already, but I need to create more representative things.

Thank you for the mentorship tip Rokugan. Starting in November :)
  • Adam Chilton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Chilton polycounter lvl 4
    Do some UI work. Getting in as a concept artist is extremely difficult as it's quite a lucrative part of production media. However UI artists are sought after more due to the moble games market.

You have a far better chance getting into the industry if you have UI work in your portfolio.