Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Obligatory Sci-fi corridor

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Hi, I started making this as it seems like good practice. I'm currently at making the materials so what you see is the color coding(or whatever people call it). So this is pretty much the base and ill add stuff like cable ladders, monitors, lights, and more. How does people usually texture stuff like this, do you use ddo or substance or something like that? General feedback is appreciated!
(I'll change the hole on the pillars, it ended up looking really flat as the cables are just a texture on a plane and not actual cylinders)

pHZiNKs.jpg
Ge6WHDU.jpg
awz3laj.jpg

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Hard to get a feel with the ID map , you should post pics without it. I also feel the grating in the center is way to big. Feel like my shoe would fall in
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hard to get a feel with the ID map , you should post pics without it. I also feel the grating in the center is way to big. Feel like my shoe would fall in

You are completely right about the grate and I'll adjust it when I come to it! As far as the Id map goes, I'll post when the materials are finished, i started working on them today and might be done by this evening! (I ended up going for nerf gun colors with metal parts, kind of typical but I think it's a nice combo)
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here is where I'm at, I figured that I might as well share what I have since decided to redo the grate and add a cover over the cutouts of the connecting pillars. Every unit has a point light in the center at the moment to have some basic lighting for the scene.

rO2YycU.jpg

mKLoMBf.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here is the progress.

nxfLZIA.jpg

bJczPDj.jpg

w1g1c9A.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I were thinking about making some text and stuff on the walls to break up monotony using deferred decals but I ran into this problem. Basically, it seem that the decal opacity is dependent on the underlying metallness value. I searched a bit but couldn't find any fix, is there anyone else that has run into this?

gHDszGK.png
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Great work so far!

Though I prefer the colors of the earlier images. Looks like maybe some blue tones in the cubemap or something? Maybe you could give the metal a hint of blue. It gave it more energy, and made it more inviting.

Also, I think the corridor could be broken up by a unique module. Maybe some kind of interface or storage unit, or both.

Quick paintover below:

Fbtf6jv.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus wrote: »
    Great work so far!

Though I prefer the colors of the earlier images. Looks like maybe some blue tones in the cubemap or something? Maybe you could give the metal a hint of blue. It gave it more energy, and made it more inviting.

Also, I think the corridor could be broken up by a unique module. Maybe some kind of interface or storage unit, or both.

Quick paintover below:

Fbtf6jv.jpg

Thanks for the response! I agree, I am to add a hint of blue in the scene, namely the lighting and other assets that will break monotony (Most of the images I draw inspiration from has those color combinations).

As far as the unique modules are concerned, I'm planning on stuff like that as well. First of all I'm going to make a door to cap of the corridor, and after that I'll start making modules to just vary the walls as you said.

I'll come back with updates in the morning, I already closed UE for the day and forgot to share screens. :poly117:
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here is the latest version with the lighting. It might need some adjusting, tell me what you think! I'll start making the door module now!

3dZGIgy.jpg
  • Har
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    Looks pretty good so far, you also might want to add some wear and tear or is it intended to look new?

Like maxilator said, breaking the scene up sounds like a good idea.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har wrote: »
    Looks pretty good so far, you also might want to add some wear and tear or is it intended to look new?

Like maxilator said, breaking the scene up sounds like a good idea.

I'm going for brand new, but I will add some decals once I have gotten that function to work and also make some alternate pieces to make it look more natural. I'm working on the door right now as I mentioned before and will post the progress of that once I have enough done to have something to comment on! :)
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the blockout of the door module. :)

i8hjQNn.png