Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Noise Apply To Mesh Error

Hey all,

Does anyone know why this might be happening.

Imported OBJ with UV's, Object has plenty of subdivisions, using a custom alpha for noise.

My first time around (1.jpg) worked beautifully but I had to recreate the asset because I didn't plan ahead and ran into another issue. I didn't adjust this area of the mesh at all.

So, when I recreate the steps it looks fine (2.jpg) before I hit apply to mesh. Once I hit apply to mesh the resolution gets dropped significantly (3.jpg)

I did a test and subdivided it again (12 Mil points) and tried it and the result is still not as sharp as 1.jpg (4.jpg)

**Disregard the blending in 1.jpg it's part of the aesthetics

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Since it started to get better with more polygons, it seems like a density issue to me. What does the mesh topology look like at the lowest subdivision level? (Even 12million points might not be enough for this type of detail if those points aren't properly distributed where you need them).
  • Cbonez888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply cyrid,

I figured it out, as noted on Zbrush website "Note: For Surface Noise to show you must have Quick 3D Edit turned ON in the Transform palette. Also note that if your model is very large the noise may not show or will display in patches."

I scaled down the model and it worked perfectly.

Cheers,