Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ronda Rousey

Boozebeard
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
Right, this will be my first attempt at a realistic full body likeness so any crits and tips will be really helpful. Finding it a little tricky as her body shape changes a lot depending on whether she's cutting weight for a fight or not. I'm going more towards her fuller body shape. I think her nose changes a bit between reference too. Planning to put her in the latest black UFC Reebok kit.

Anyway, here's the reference board I'm using and the base shapes I've got laid down. Don't want to get into any details until these are as accurate as I can get them so please let me know what you think is wrong (I've already noticed some stuff just uploading the pictures >_<).

BEw81vRjpg
8NslPV4png
yLgvUMcpng

Cheers.

Replies

• Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the face a bit today, still don't think it's quite there yet though.

XU1SNHy.png
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more adjustments and filled out the face a bit. Think it's getting there, any suggestions would be appreciated.

wQN9Ygp.png
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Good start ! =) I think this is quite a challenge to do her, it's always hard to create good likeness, and I find her face quite challenging: everything is mostly round, she have a strong jaw but doesn't look that masculine.

First thing I'll critique about the face are the eyelids, they are too thin at the moment.
    Also, the proportions and shapes aren't perfect yet, here's a paintover, I hope it will help.

7vPndVC.jpg

As I said her face is difficult because it's mostly round, but try to simplify it in planes, for example on the chin. And her chin goes quite backwards as well.
    About the body, you goes for heroic proportions, but she's actually about 7 heads and 1/4 tall.

Hope it helps !
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. I've been doing overlays in zbrush as I go, I think maybe on that overlay you could of scaled the image up a bit but it definitely seems that I need to make the top half bigger (or bottom half smaller but that's probably trickier). I'll have to measure that side shot up against the recent revision again.

A problem I struggle with is that I line it up against one reference image then do the same for a few more angles and now the first is out of alignment. Some of it is probably me not understanding the shapes correctly but I think older/recent photos and camera perspectives are throwing it off too (I know ZBrush's perspective is not really correct which doesn't help). Is it maybe best to pick one reference image as your primary source and let matching that supersede discrepancies in other images? or maybe just rely on eye balling it a bit more and getting what ever looks more correct? Or am I just doing it wrong? ^_^

One example is her chin in the top row, second from the right. It seems to stick out with a bit of a harder angle there than in other images. I can't figure out a shape that matches that image and doesn't break it from other angles.

Here's quite a good image I pulled out of her most recent UFC event. I used this one a lot on the most recent revision.

qlx27Cg.png
  • K-O-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start. I would pay special attention to the shape of the features ie. nostril shape, nose tip, nasal labial fold.

A good source for UFC fighters is GettyImages, Ronda Rousey can be found here: http://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/ronda-rousey?family=editorial&assettype=image&excludenudity=true&phrase=ronda%20rousey&sort=best

Best of luck!
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are some great images, thankyou.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah I see why you have hard time do shape the chin properly. It's because she have a bit of fat under it. Try to sculpt the bone first, then add the saggy part.
    And as I said, likeness is hard, and likeness on her face is even harder. ^^

Good luck !
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butts, I think I've been working with messed up perspective. Didn't realise having local transformation turned on affected dynamic perspective.

It seems like local transformation doesn't affect the perspective if I turn dynamic perspective off. Is there a consensus on the best perspective settings to be using?

Edit: I'm also using a view angle of 30, this is what was recommended in one of Frank Tzeng's videos but I think that was before the dynamic perspective option so I don't know if that changes anything.

Edit 2: All the dynamic and adaptive perspective options off and local transforms on seems to be good.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still been chiselling away at this every now and then. I think I'm fairly happy with the likeness now. Not perfect but I think I'm getting to the limits of my current skill level really. I will get the body and clothing into a better state before I detail the face though, so can always come back to it afterwards.

BBMwqen.png
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to put this on the back burner 'cause some other projects came up but I found an updated body shot I never posted. So figured I'd share it. I do plan to come back to it when I have time, though it feels slightly redundant now (thanks Holly!), haha.

• Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally have time to get back to this. I was gonna have a go at the beast contest but wasn't really feeling it, decided I'd rather finish this up instead. Here's the current state of it. I still feel like the anatomy  is off, especially on legs and arms. Help D:

• Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed leg proportions and generally refined stuff. Feel like I'm getting closer now.

• Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some proper eyes and threw down a really basic polypaint. Should of tested some skin shaders earlier, the soft shadows really changed how the jaw read. Anyway, I don't totally hate the result I'm getting in keyshot in terms of likeness, though everytime I look at it with fresh eyes that opinion changes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    The eyes are a bit crosseyed at the moment. I also think that you should try and push the likeness on the face a bit more. I would focus back in on the eyebrows, the lips and the nose. I think those are the areas that are currently throwing off the likeness the most for me. Also I think her muscle is usually more tone than how you have her now. I would look at trimming down the fat on her legs and stomach a bit, and also look on getting some of the prominent veins she has pushing out on her forearms/biceps in there. Lastly, don't forget about her ankle tattoos ;) Those are the only ones she has that would be visible with the clothing you have on her now I believe.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback. I left the eyes pointing straight ahead for now as it's easier to work with them. I'll have another pass on the face if you think it's still quite far off but I think soon I will just have to accept defeat. I will look at maybe thinning her out a little bit, I wasn't aiming for her weight cut body though. I'll be sure to get to the veins and tattoos, I haven't really started with the finer details, I was just putting down some preliminary colour and materials to get a better look at things.