Home Technical Talk

Can't figure out what to do with a stubborn triangle.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spunky polycounter lvl 11
I'm working on modeling a Raging Bull revolver, starting with the barrel. I have it mostly modeled out...but just discovered a triangle I have in the corners of the barrel vent things. I've been staring at it forever and can't for the life of me figure out what to do with it. I'm trying to smooth my mesh and I'm pretty sure its the cause of some terrible distortion.

Here is what I got
WHnCyVj.jpg

apFT5GA.jpgFeel free to draw some geometry on the big image with what you're thinking :D

Replies

• Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I try to fix it, I create another triangle somewhere else @_@ why can't I wrap my brain around this!
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Can you do any of these two, light blue, red?

As the image says you might have another triangle at an undiscovered location, we can't see the entire model so nothing can really be done to actually solve this issue as we can just speculate, that what I might have pointed out might help.

Otherwise yea you have to make sure every line your making "closes" to a quad end to end.

It takes a bit of time you'll get it I was like that at the start also.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Triangles are fine. You don't need to stress yourself trying to get rid of all of them. Especially on hard surface models where it's not deforming.

That being said, are you planning to tighten your edge with extra loops? Will this model be smoothed/subdiv'd?
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DavidCruz Ill try your lines and provide more pictures.

@DireWolf I plan on adding edges loops and smoothing yes. I've just been trying to keep all triangles away because it makes adding loops and what not easier. Seems like as soon as I get a triangle in the mix, my insert edge loop and split tool just stop working. Also I thought triangles caused a lot of deformation when trying to smooth?
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I think.

AwbP6zb.png

Looked like I focus too much on the circle and wasn't thinking clearlyy for the curve surface on the left hmm.
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well I'm a complete idiot. I forgot to merge 2 verts on my triangle from when I was working on that area.....solves the deformation problem.

But I'm still wondering about triangles on smooth meshes, I was under the impression that you wanted to avoid them at all costs.
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the drawing DireWolf. Since you mentioned that some triangles are ok, I'm looking into that to see what I can get away with because maybe I'll just leave it then.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Spunky wrote: »
    Oh well I'm a complete idiot. I forgot to merge 2 verts on my triangle from when I was working on that area.....solves the deformation problem.

But I'm still wondering about triangles on smooth meshes, I was under the impression that you wanted to avoid them at all costs.

thats bogus

if it smoothes fine and deforms fine, triangles as well as ngons are totally fine for subdiv modelling
  • remotecrab131
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    Spunky wrote: »

Triangles, when you are modeling, you don't want it. When you export it to the end application, you want kill everything but triangles. - 3D Logic.

Even when you want to bake stuff, you should go with triangulated lowpoly mesh instead of quads. Unless the quad is perfectly flat on all 4 vertex normals.