Home Technical Talk

quick question, flatten uvs in maya

Hello,

I was wondering if someone knows how to flatten uvs from multiple objects that have 2 uv sets each to the second uv set of those. So to have an object have its uvs collapsed to map "2" basically (second projection). I need to batch do this for a bunch of objects..

thanks in advanced.

-Manu

Replies

• maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it, someone at work shared me a script for this!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I'm not sure I understand. If you want to copy the existing UVs to a second UV channel for say lightmaps, I use this mel

polyUVSet -copy -nuv "lightmap";

You would replace lightmap with whatever you want.

To go a step further, you would want to put this into a loop so it would do multiple objects, and for a lightmap you probably want to run a layout command so there are no overlapping UVs.

If you want multiple objects to share a second UV set it might get trickier.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello m4dcow,

Thanks for the help. I actually do not use lightmaps. I simply wanted to collapse a bunch of objets (second uv channel) into the first one.
    Reason being, that I am working in katana and the alembic format can only support one
    uv set at the moment (as far as I know) so having the uvs on the second uv channel and not the first one (default one..) was causing the objects not to pick the textures.

So in resume I wanted to have all objects with only one uv channel, so flatten both and keep the second projection.