Home Technical Talk

ZBrush vertex colors -> 3Ds Max -> XNormal

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

When exporting a mesh from Zbrush to Xn, the vertex colors can be read.
When exporting a mesh from Zbrush to Max, the vertex colors can not be read.
If I use a script, though, I can import the mesh into max, and retain the vertex colors. However, when I then export to Xn again, it still doesn't have any vert colors.

Is there a workaround for this?

I ship my geo to max for exploding it.
Do you guys explode your mesh in Zbrush or something?

It's not a big deal, since my vertex coloring isnt actual paint, but just color flats for texture ID, but I still feel there must be a more smooth way of doing it.

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I believe the latest version of xNormal has a "Position Offset" column (scroll all the way to the right in your HP/LP mesh tabs) so you can explode your HP/LP meshes without having to take it into another program. Last time I used this feature, though, it didn't offset my external cage mesh with everything else so I wasn't able to use it. My guess is that has been fixed by now.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    You could also use goz to explode and export directly from zbrush, but using the offset in xnormal as mentioned by others might be better.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, wasn't aware of the position offset. this will come in handy.

And of course, GOZ! Thanks M4adcow, so simple, yet I didn't think about it. So I can just GoZ it back in, with a Layer recording, and I will have a layer with the same explode as in Max :)

This is by far the easiest! Thanks!