Home General Discussion

Best place to learn how to hand paint Assets?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone

I am needing to learn how to hand paint textures for game assets, but i am still learning photoshop and i dont pick things up very well. So i was wondering if anyone has any hints or suggestions of tutorials that may help with this process in learning to hand paint textures.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I am not proficient in hand painting myself, but this seems like good tutorials to me.
    Also like anything else, practice a lot!

https://gumroad.com/turpedo
    http://3dmotive.com/series/hand-painted-enviro-texturing.html
    http://3dmotive.com/series/hand-painted-texturing.html
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 Kelvin's tutorial is great. He shows you every step, explains very clear and there's no fast forward or anything. You get to see everything in real time as he laid down every thing.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I am a strong believer of you don't need tutorial for handpaint, at least not those kind, those would mostly only teach you how to copy. To handpaint you simply need to learn your light and color theory, and basic paint skill, then it's just about practice.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Kelvin's tutorials are fantastic, Stromberg's basically given all your need for Hand Painting, it really helped me finish my first character which was hand painted, something I consider an absolute weakness of mine, even though I'm not a fan of 3DCoat, it's just not comfortable to work in for me, the applicable theories of color and painting are explained in a way where you can take that information into Photoshop or any texturing program of your choice, done in a way anyone can understand and nothing is skimmed over.

It is 20$ well worth your money.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    What's odow said. You need to learn basics(color/value/texture), because this kind of work heavily depends on them.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow wrote: »
    I am a strong believer of you don't need tutorial for handpaint, at least not those kind, those would mostly only teach you how to copy. To handpaint you simply need to learn your light and color theory, and basic paint skill, then it's just about practice.

Thank you everyone for the help. Odow i have alot of trouble picking things up which is why i need somewhat of a guide on how to do this. I understand your point of view and i agree but every situation if different for others :)

Thanks again
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Ctrl + paint has excellent resources on both basic and advanced painting techniques which can be transferred easily into 3d. Solid foundation and understanding goes miles.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    good reference is the first step , just look up a lot of examples of handpainted things and approaches. also determine if you want to do the from scratch approach or from a baked highpoly.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Ladygrace wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the help. Odow i have alot of trouble picking things up which is why i need somewhat of a guide on how to do this. I understand your point of view and i agree but every situation if different for others :)

Thanks again

that's the thing, handpaint isn't about technique or remembering stuff. There's 10 million way of doing rock. It's just like you were learning real paint, you don't copy someone else work, you do your own, you experiment with color and texture and light until it give something. Everyone i know that learn handpaint from tutorial, can'T do anything by themself after, because they only learn to copy what they had and they can't assimilate it. There's no magic behind it, it's ONLY practice.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just paint stuff. A bunch.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think copying someone who is already proficient is not a bad place to start. Once you get the hang of it, you can branch off in your own style. Nothing wrong with that in my book...especially if it gets you there faster. Still, there aren't any true shortcuts so just paint a lot.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Odow - but there are recognosed techniques that most people who are good at this stuff tend to use, so there is no real danger of nicking someone esles style.
    I learned so much from other artists on polycount back in the day when leanring to hand paint stuff myself.
    without that extra input i would have taken a bit longer to improve

I would disgaree and say that most of what we do is technique based

fortunately all is you need is the smudge tool and the dodge and burn tool to be become a legend:)
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    fortunately all is you need is the smudge tool and the dodge and burn tool to be become a legend
    I've seen lots of ppl don't even use those tools such as Smudge, dodge...They barely use brush and pick color/value/saturation then painting with different opacity.
    I'm trying to learn hand painting too, and what I'm doing is gathering a lot of good reference then I mimic those color, surface, until I got the same result.

I'm sitting here looking for ppl advice too :poly124:.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    things I use a lot when painting:

shift + brackets to adjust how hard my brush is
    alt to color sample
    number keys to adjust opacity

A lot of newcomers will paint very blurry looking textures, it's a good idea to use a fairly hard brush and use the eyedropper to blend colors rather than smudge.
  • MeshMagnet
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have purchased 1 first tutorial that was posted as well as i brought this tutorial that i Found about making textures as well which is helping me alot with getting started and he explains alot as he goes. Also it is great to see the layout of the layers in photoshop that is recommended for texturing. Sad thing is, it was rather pricey for it when the other ones were cheaper.
    https://vimeo.com/ondemand/texturebootcamp

Also thanks to everyone having some input as it is steering me in the correct direction.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    observation and practice!

I refer back to these videos off and on when i'm feeling lost

Using Color in Paintings

Choosing colors that work

DOTA2 gun from bounchfx
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    fortunately all is you need is the smudge tool and the dodge and burn tool to be become a legend

Pain - nothing worse than being quoted wrongly, you missed the smiley face out as my post a was a little tongue and cheek although I do actually use the smudge tool a lot.

edit : hmm the smiley face doesn't get quoted odd
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    corel painter is fun to use :D

..skill wise. Just keep painting like crazy. Redo. Throw out. Start again. Repeat. Etc.

Since everyone else is throwing out their opinions as well, I'd say there's nothing wrong at all with first looking at and copying other artist's work, they're called master studies/ master copies for a reason. That's how a lot of traditional painters did it (besides drawing/painting from life of course). A good amount of reference is key as well.

I'd say no. 1 is remember to have fun and feel free to do/make a lot of experimental pieces that you don't care as much how it looks in the end. Worrying too much about why X doesn't look like Y yet can deter progress imo. Frustration and hesitation is the enemy! Destroy as many blank pieces of canvas or bitmap documents as you can!

Oh, and read a bit on color theory.. :)