Home Technical Talk

MayaLt(and possibly other software)Question

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
So I'm looking at purchasing maya lt but the 65k poly limit on fbx and obj exports is making me seriously reconsider. A lot of my high poly models are way over that limit and I do not like the baking results within in maya. does anyone have a work around for this? I read that you can export directly to a unity project without the 65k limitation but I can not find what file format it puts it in the unity project as. If it drops it in the folder as an .fbx that would be great but that seams really dumb to have a limitation like that so easily walked around (if that is the case please tell me).

I plan on making assets for the unreal and unity stores once my internship is over this summer (if it does not turn into a permanent position). Modo Indie export cap of 100k is too low for me as well, and blender and I do not get a long. I really do not want to have to bite the bullet and shell out for a full license of modo or maya since i doubt i will recoup the initial investment any time soon.

I have a commercial license of zbrush, photoshop and substance Live indie I just have not got around to dropping the big bucks on a main modeling package yet. Any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Maya LT 2016 has had an increased limit on export size, i think it's around 200k tri's now. If that helps you out at all. If that's still to low the only way i've found to get larger items out of Maya LT is to export them in chunks below the export cap.

Hope that helps.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Send to Unity saves an FBX as usual, and above the 100,000 polygon limit. Not sure why there is an export cap if you can simply get around it by exporting to Unity, which really you're just saving the file inside a Unity project folder, you don't even have to open Unity at all.

After exporting this way you can take the FBX into whatever software you want.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! thanks guys.