Home General Discussion

Question about 3d artist roles

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Hi everybody, I have a question about the 3d artist roles in the games industry. Basically, I don't know where I should draw the line about the job roles 3d artists have and what work falls into what category. The roles I hear the most are generalist, environment, and character artist obviously there are more but these seem the most frequent.

So, for example, what discipline would handle a humanoid statue? I could see reasons why it would fall into every category, so where do I draw the line?
I might come of as stupid for asking this but I really can't tell so if someone could elaborate on this I would be thankful. Thank you beforehand. :)

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I dont work in the game industry but I can tell that a "Humanoid Statue" falls under character art, environment prop art category.

That being said. If you require to elaborate it further, you can categorize it in terms of modeling, texturing and rendering as well.
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teclis polycounter lvl 15
    From my experience i can tell that in practice the roles aren't that hard divided. Especially in smaller teams. So usually it depends on the project requirements and therefore it can happen that you switch from 3d art to animation or effects or whatever. Also more often 3D artists have to do outsourcing checkup and integration. So i guess there is oftentimes not this strickt seperation in the 3dartist roles.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    You can expect a very wide range of tasks coming your way if your job title is 3D Artist or generalist.

Some studios do break down and specialize their staff quite a lot, others don't.