Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Nanomesh UVs?

How can I create UV's of a complicated pattern generated from nanomesh, is there like a trick in ZBrush or something?

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Not sure what you mean. You want UVs on each individual piece of the nanomesh? Or the object as a whole after being nanomeshed? What is the purpose of the UVs? Are you creating a low poly or do you want to be able to texture the high poly? More info please :)
  • Ne0nfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to be able to create a unique texture for a complicated pattern, let's say a chainmail or something. Ideal would be if I could have only uv space for all pattern. Dunno how to explain it further..
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    take a snapshot in photoshop (printscreen) and see if it suits you.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    You can use base mesh UV and texture . Just turn those options on in Nano mesh UV drop down. Although the UVs are projected with errors onto the nanomeshes.

or you could unwrap original nanomesh , then export the array as a single object and pack all uv islands in 3d party packer
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Are you saying you want to have each of the meshes share the same UV space so you can texture them? Or do you want to bake the nanomeshes onto another mesh for a normal map or something? Do you want the nano meshes to be textured?
  • Ne0nfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, the first one @jfitch, I want every mesh to share the same UV space. I tried it with the option 'use base mesh uv' but it destroys my uv's.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Every nanomesh to share the same UV.

Perhaps I am missing something but isn't it just a default behavior.

You have a mesh with UV and texture on, then add it as nanomesh and voila , you don't need to do anything exta
  • Ne0nfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would be nice if it would work that easy.
    Short explanation of my process:
    1. I create a pattern base mesh which I want to use for my pattern, let's say a ring from a chainmail
    2. I do the UVs for the base mesh
    3. I import the base mesh into zBrush and make it a Nanomesh
    4. Next I create plane to apply my nanomesh onto it
    5. I check 'use base mesh uvs' in the Nanomesh settings and convert it to one object
    6. Finally I got a plane with my pattern applied, I delete the plane and I'm left with my pattern which has screwed up uvs
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am a bit lost. if you want all chains having the same UV /texture you shouldn't do anything and uncheck "use base mesh UV"

If you want each chain having its own unique UV you basically need to turn nanomesh object into regular one, export somewhere and then auto pack all UVs into 0-1 space . In Blender for example. Could take a wile if you have a huge amount of chains . Then bake colors from base mesh into new chains UV/texture if necessary or paint over them directly .

That "use base mesh UV " is also working but screw UVs a bit , make errors. Still acceptable in many cases.

You could just subdivide and re-project your base mesh back onto chains since having them as normal/displacement texture is basically what you would want most of a time

You can also try to project UVs from base mesh to chains in Maya attribute transfer or Max projection modifier . Also with errors probably and not sure how it would work with thousands of chains
  • rondinellimorais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello @Ne0nfire,
    You finded a solution for your problem?

Because, I'm have same problem, see please on this post: