CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
been a while since I posted my own work to get helpful crits on

made a sci fi barrel based on this concept:
concept_zps8pl2sqbr.jpg
his portfolio here: http://karanak.deviantart.com/gallery/

and my 3d version of it
wip01_zpsiravbfii.jpg
** forgot to mention the tri count: 2058 tris
wanted to get some fresh eyes on it, I have to do some more work on the wear and tear and make the metal rings darker

Replies

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Good start.

Critics:
    - The top bevel looks much bigger on the concept, due to this the "noses" aren't that visible in your version
    - The "shield" at the front has a top bevel on the concept, this is missing at your version and this lead to a "round/flat" shield
    - As the top is most likely the part the player sees, I would model the recess instead of using normal maps for it, same for the "corner recess".
    - I would push the "pipe mounts" a little more to make them more visible in the final work
    - As far as I can see you used something like ndo for the normal map, but no real high poly bake which leads to unbelivable sharp edges
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crit!

-yea there is a size difference I'll have to do some adjusting to with that top lip bevel
    -the shield at the front does have a bevel in my version, maybe not as dominate as in the concept and also doesn't have the lighting hitting it the same to show it off as in the concept
    -i'm not sure how I feel about modelling all that detail, it's just a barrel after all and by no means a hero prop - not trying to sound lazy or make it seem like I'm not capable but not sure it's what a studio would ask for
    -100% agree on the pipe mounts
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good work, the concept looks more like brushed metal to me, yours looks more like rough matt white plastic, I may be wrong though.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll keep that in mind when i go back to rework the scratches etc thanks!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Pretty good if you'd ask me.
    Just getting the tire on the road for this one is ace work in itself.

Way to go.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you!

here is a small update, beveled the top edge of the plate more to get that better reflection, also did that for all the tabs holding the two big rails on

changed up the texture to look more metal and less blah, think I got a good base going now. Just need to add in the small details now

final2_zpsfdkhwhsn.jpg

thinking I should add some screws or something into my normal map on each corner of the metal plate to show how it's mounted? any thoughts on that
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Mesh and normals are looking nice scott, I would try and push your material definitions / overall texture though. Separate some of your materials, you could have a matte plastic mixed with some metals to help make some aspects pop more.

White materials are always tricky as well, try and get some discolouration and some scuff marks that aren't just in your roughness and maybe put a bit more love into the label... little bit of scuffs / dirt (maybe fingerprints in the roughness) could add a bit.

I would try and set up your presentation shot a bit more as well, you can make a quick lighting setup in marm that will help make this pop a bit more.

If you keep pushing this a bit more you'll have a solid asset for your portfolio :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    The bars going around look like they are floating, those little clips do not look like they are capable of holding it in any way
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good points Jay,
    and now that I look at it i'll have to adjust that too, thanks Nick

I guess i'll do another pass on it when I get some free time.... probably not till next week :P
  • samwoodart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like you could really add more noise to the material to give it some definition. Otherwise its looking nice man.