Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review

SageOfTime
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SageOfTime polycounter lvl 3
Www.kennethpolly.com

Hello everybody! I'm fairly new with my most recent work being towards the May environment challenge. I've been reworking a lot of the assets I had planned on using for my environment submission as good standalone pieces. I'm going to be looking for new work soon and I need some fresh eyes on my portfolio. There are things I like about it, but I want honest feedback on the design as well as the assets on there as well. I've been working for the past year as a hard surface modeler for a defense company as my first gig in industry post graduation, but I'm looking to make the jump into the games industry. I'd love some critiques from the community. I know I'm in the right place :)

Replies

• tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    Hey SageOfTime, def. get that environment challenge in, it will help alot. I think your two weakest pieces right now are the crate and the R2D2. The R2D2 because of the normal map and polycount. The tricount you have is way to high and there are no normal maps at all from what I saw on the image. from the modeling level of details that you have, you could easily reduce it and transfer that detail to a normal. it could easily be reduced to under 5k tris if you did that and it would probably still look just as good.

The crate is just that. The sculpt is nice but there are so many people making crates for portfolio, it is like the bare minimum when it comes to portfolio work. When people show me that I think, that person just put a box in his portfolio. If you do decide to keep it though, work on the specular. all the specular tones for each objects are the same, separate them a bit to show a difference.

For the video, explain exactly what you worked on. If people don't know, they will assume the worst case scenario. I think that is your strongest most interesting part right now and you should explain it more by stating your exact work.

If you want to be an environment artist, you need more environments and less props, your weapons are good though and you should keep them in but you just need more environments. They are stronger pieces than props overall.

Also, I noticed you went to UCF. I'm currently on my Senior year at UCF :) Good luck