Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Bio Dome

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
Finally motivated to start another environment. Trying to maximize the amount of modular assets I make and minimize the unique ones. I thought this would be a good choice because of it's mix of nature and sci fi. I liked the idea of it and thought the mix of the two would be great for my portfolio. So here I am jumping into another environment!

Here's the concept i'll be working off of:

fww0Sen.jpg

Replies

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Block out is finished in Unreal. Got eager to start the high poly of the center piece and this is how far I got. Any critique would be greatly appreciated because some of the details in the center piece were a bit hard for me to read after staring at it for so long!

ZQ2aQtj.png
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting concept this should be cool :)
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also how many 2048 texture sheets should I be using for this center piece? Is 1 even viable?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I'd build this by actually modelling most of the detail and then using tiling metal textures across most of it and nice tiling grime textures to break everything up through masks and make it look unique, then use a smaller texture for the very unique small pieces that you want to bake and repeat around. That way you can easily keep a high texel density on such a large prop.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    not going to lie for a second i thought you meant the move
    51DSAAY65ZL.jpg
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm about done with the highpoly for this part! Wanting to add more detail but I figure i'll just do it with quixel!

1Y67eXy.jpg
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    I feel that the tube is too thin, it's much thicker in your concept... or at least it's based on the angle...

Before going nuts with your high poly models... maybe you should block out your scene first that way we can critique on the scale of things and placement of things within the scene... I'd hate to have you go deep into the modelling and then all of a sudden one of us will drop that heart breaking critique that'll make you have to scrap a decent amount of it or dishearten you because modifying the model for some critique may have become a huge mess of a task to deal with... just my thoughts on how you're approaching this atm... based off my own experience (Y)

either way the HP on the tube looks good so far just make it thicker. not much else to comment on at this point. block it out mayne! :)
  • KonstantinL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonstantinL polycounter lvl 6
    That looks like a really fun concept to do!

I defiantly agree with the fact that you need to block in a lot more of the over all scene to be able to actually get the proper scale.

As for the high poly model that you have so far, tube the glass cylinder dose feel too thin. The base seems to be off as well, amount of the tubes that gose in to the base is way too few, and do not really mach the shape that they are in the concept.

But great start! looking forward to it!
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    I'm very interested in your progress, keep it up!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Yeah I totally agree with everything Kid in the dark says here, flesh the scene out and get a good feeling going before you invest too much time into anything specific.
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the center piece low poly and unwrapped! I was out of town for a few days so didn't get the chance to work on it till now. I think I'm only going to do the whole scene dependent on how this piece turns out. If I like how it turns out i'll block everything out and really start working on the rest of it!

U8U92EH.png
  • AtomicChikkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going to be pretty rad as it evolves. The hard part will be figuring out that nice line of blues and greens to it doesn't saturate the scene when it hits high time.
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some texture work that I did today. I think I'm going to go with two texture sheets, broken into the top and bottom pieces, and then a simple glass shader because of the plant growth on the inside to break it up. My roughness texture is completely placeholder and just a b&w grime texture at the moment because I haven't gotten to it. c&c always welcome of course!

MsYtyOM.png
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    Looking forward to this