Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 viewport - looks brighter than the material?

GhostBlades
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GhostBlades polycounter lvl 3
Bright.JPG

Anyone know why in maya 2016 the standard lambert shader default looks brighter in viewport 2.0 than previous maya versions? - in previous maya versions no matter which viewport renderer you were in it basically looked like the same value...now it's different - any reason?

Anyone know how to fix this?

Replies

• ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    It's the gamma correction on the viewport. Up in the toolbar for the viewport you'll see the dropdown that says sRGB gamma. To the left it says On. You can toggle the viewport color space on and off there
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Is it strange anyway, doesn't Maya have Linear Workflow for the material preview too?
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    Is it strange anyway, doesn't Maya have Linear Workflow for the material preview too?

Apparently not. My preview also looks darker than the viewport.
    But at least the color swatches themself use color correction.
    However, as of 2016 you can also use the new HyperShade preview which is gamma corrected and generally very useful:

soFMSEl.jpg
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, at least the old XSI, ehm new Maya HyperShade have a proper material preview with a considerable size.

They changed its position, I used to find it under Windows, now it's inside the Material/Texture Baking sub menu, I've found there's an icon shortcut on the main window too.

The new UI is looking good though.
  • Rokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokai null
    sorry for asking, i believe im in the right room,
    may i ask how to set a linear workflow in Maya 2016? expecially if we want play with physical sun and sky... because i believe in 2016 version is a rather different than the early version... im searching but not found anything yet about it...

any link or any answer will be appreciated.