Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Riding Hood

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
I'm working on a bad-ass version of red riding hood. I just modeled it and would like to get some feedback on it before I retopo the model and start texturing.

With the hood:
RidingHood%2528w-hood%2529.jpg

Without the hood:http:
RidingHood%2528nohood%2529.jpg

Blunderbuss:
RedHoodBlunderBuss.png

Scimitar:
RedHoodScimitar.png

Some things I particularly want to get some feedback are:

-How should I go about the hair? Should I sculpt it? Should I use the fibermesh in zbrush? Should I clump the hair differently? Keep in mind I am making this in game res.

-The creases on the clothing. Do they flow naturally? Any suggestions on the hood or skirts? The frilly top? The leather on the gloves and corset. Do they look realistic?

-How detailed should this model be? Should I put stitching on the clothes?

-Anatomy. Does character look proportional? Does the face look right? I'm going for more of a comic-book heroine look (not exactly cel-shaded style though). Realistic but not photo-realistic.

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Hard to give good feedback if we can barely see the images. How about some bigger pics? :)
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah dammit! All right I just changed the size.
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remodeled her boot. I made the sole of the boot more crisp, added stitching, smoothed the leather texture, and reworked the lacing.

Old:

BootOld.png

New:

BootNew.png
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on quite a bit for this model during this month. Some of the bigger changes include her flintlock pistol and her sword. I also made some tweaks to her face.

Here are closeups of her face. Keep in mind I'm aiming for a Mila Jovovich look for her face. Those strange polygons by her eyes are eyelashes by the way:

RedRidingHoodHead.jpg

Here are shots of the flintlock pistol. I added wolf head ornament on the bottom to coincide with her nemesis the wolf. I'd definitely like to read your thoughts on this:

BlunderBuss2%2528a%2529.png

BlunderBuss2%2528b%2529.png

BlunderBussTop.png

BlunderBussWolf.png

And her sword:

Sword2.png

As always, if you guys have any suggestions on how I can improve this model, please let me know.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    If you want her to look a bit like Milla, maybe you should start with a study of Milla's face. Because here she doesn't look at all like her, and she's ugly ( I mean if she was a real girl, the shape of her face features would make her ugly ). I think it's mainly because of the nose and lips shape. And the big shin. The upper part of the face seems good.

And for the boot, it's not hard to find some photos of real boots and use them as refs. You can perfectly put a photo in the background and mod on top of it.

stock-photo-female-boots-isolated-on-white-40395418.jpg

Check the shapes and how a real boot is made.
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been awhile, but I've finally worked on this model a bit more. I was busy with another project (perhaps I'll post it in the future). Anyway, I've decided shift my focus onto another actress since I don't think Mila Jovovich really fits the body type of this character. I chose instead Lauren Cohan from The Walking Dead as my reference.

Reference images:

Textured head without hair:

Head without color or hair:

Head with hair planes and wireframe:

Please give any feedback if you see any areas in where can improve my model. I'm also curious about how to make in-game textured hair. I've searched on the Polycount Wiki and came across an a few helpful articles, but it's difficult to follow along without a video guide. Do any of you know of some good step by step video tutorials on how to make in-game hair? I can't seem find anything on Youtube. I also own Substance Painter and I'm wondering if it's better to paint strands of hair in that program, or if I should use the fibermesh tool in Zbrush to create realistic strands of hair. I'm not familiar with this process and any advice would help. Thanks!

• Blade113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tweaked the face a bit more and finished the texturing process. Now I just want your feedback as to what I can do to improve this model before I pose this model whether that be the texturing, rendering, or the mesh itself. Thank you!

Here is the mesh rendered in Toolbag:

I've also decided to use Substance Painter's I-ray. Here are some shots:

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some tweaks to this model. For the face, I separated the head mesh from the rest of the body and placed the texture on a 2k map. This change allowed more detail to be baked. I was also not too happy with the eyes so I altered the eyes a bit. I added a cornea and modified the color. For the eye, I downloaded the eye material made by Ken Jiang from share.allegorithmic.com. The eye color is more green than my reference, actress Lauren Cohan, but I prefer this. The hair gave me a headache. Too much trial and error on this one. The biggest problem I had was creating a normal map from the hair texture I've already made. Thanks to CrazyBump though, I was able to convert the hair's gloss map into a normal map. Here is what I have for the head as of right now:

I've made some adjustments to the boots as well. Before, the boots had no wrinkles. Afterwards, I realized I was not too happy about this. I then decided remodel the mesh and add light wrinkles. Here are the boots:

Finally, I textured the sword and flintlock pistol:

If I could get any feedback that'd be great whether that be the form, the textures, whatever. 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    The blade clearly has some serious normal issues, Did you harden the border edges?
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some major and minor tweaks in this update. For the head, the biggest change was the hair. I was not too happy with the previous hairstyle I had. The hair did not flow naturally. As for the changes, I added more strips of polygons since this allowed for more flexibility and control. I made some minor tweaks as well. I decided to paint on the eyebrows onto the skin texture to save on polygon counts. The nose seemed a bit too big, so I scaled the nose slightly. Other changes include pulling the mouth more forward, softening the philtrum, adding more eye-shadow, and changing the eyelashes so that they are on a low-poly plane instead of the eyelashes being individual polygons.

For the sword, I decided to alter the blade. I didn't do anything too crazy, but changed the shape so that the blade could actually fit in sheath. I also re-worked the sheath as well.

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome work so far! Only critique is that her nose appears to be a bit masculine. Good shit so far :)
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally posed this model in Zbrush. Tell me what you guys think about this.

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an alternate capture of the model that will give you guys a better view of the model. I guess that first picture was too wide.