Home Technical Talk

Grouping vertices in Maya

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
For instance, Say, I have a plane with a grid texture that lines up to my maya grid,
Now i turn on preserve UV,
If i move the plane the texture will move with it and no longer line up,
If i move the vertices, the texture will stay in position I'll be revealing different parts of it - This is what I want, but I want to drive/parent/constrain this selection so I need to group it into some kind of container.

A cluster treats it the same as moving an object.

TY guys if possible

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    I guess you are exploring a modeling workflow. Since clusters dont work, i see no other way than using selection sets if you want to move the same vertices over and over again.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    If you need a texture, that is projected from the top, and you want to model a terrain without distorting the texture in z and x, you can also use projection mapping, and bake it to the UVs later...
    In Hypershade 2D Textures->RMB click on "File" (texture) and select create as projection
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TY Antweiler buddy,
    I'm prototyping a game feature but thought it'd be easier to fake it in Maya than do it in Unity, So much hacks upon hacks...

Projection does the job, just not with the viewport plugin I was using but I can work around that I'm sure, Cheers man
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Have you tried selection sets? They allow you to store components in a group-like object. Create > Sets
    They show up in your Outliner for easy access, but I'm not sure they can be keyframed directly.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Bart, I gave it a try also, a selection set remakes my selection but it doesn't treat it like the container I needed,
    One that can be parented to a sphere or have its location accessible from a set driven key, Normally that's what a cluster is for, but a cluster would treat the vert selection as an object, but I wanted it to still move like a component so I could keep preserve UV.

Antweilers projection thing works though because it's pretty much preserve UV to something object/cluster level.
  • ljubomir993