Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly game prop practice: trassssshh!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Hey all -

Just want to post something I was working on today. Practicing making some low poly game props. Used basic maps overall.

Trash can - Albedo, Spec, Normal
Boxes/Cans - Albedo
Trash Bags - Normal, Spec
Concrete - Albedo, Normal, Occlusion

Working towards making things more realistic, so really going to try to dive into texturing and materials in a more complex way soon.

But thought I'd share these as they are pretty straight forward. Let me know if you have any critiques!

Thanks guys

16663341984_306c843220_o.jpg

17259842246_8f9991a022_o.jpg

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good. For the amount of bend your trash can is having tho I expect a lot more scratch on its color layer.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/98/c7/2d/98c72dc984408ec8655fd47ea76b8f6f.jpg
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Nice work! I think you need to relax the top of the plastic bags a bit so it looks like its plumped down on the ground. At the moment it looks like someone is tugging on it. And like DireWolf said, scratches will be good.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    One thing that stuck out to me right away is the hard outer edge of the cement floor. I would suggest adding a alpha mask to the texture and feathering the edges on the floor. It will look better IMO.

The trash can sculpt/normals look great. The cans on the ground look a bit blurry though. Overall, good job!

Edit: on a third look, I would suggest putting some more focus on the cans. Either it's missing normals, or the edges are way to hard. Up the texture resolution as well.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Leinad wrote: »
    One thing that stuck out to me right away is the hard outer edge of the cement floor. I would suggest adding a alpha mask to the texture and feathering the edges on the floor. It will look better IMO.

The trash can sculpt/normals look great. The cans on the ground look a bit blurry though. Overall, good job!

Edit: on a third look, I would suggest putting some more focus on the cans. Either it's missing normals, or the edges are way to hard. Up the texture resolution as well.

Hey thanks!

Yeah I didn't put any normals on the cans. You're right though, they look a little strange.

Also, the mask is feathered for the floor, but I couldn't get it to work right in Marmoset 2. "Dither" looked strange and still showed my hard edges in some spots. So I ended up using "Cutout" and got the result you see above. It was easy in Marmoset 1. Any idea the best way to do this in M2?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Gonna make some changes.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Some updates:

- Painted in some more scratches and rust to the trash can to make it more old and worn looking.
    - Added a normal map to the cans to fix some of the hard edges
    - Fixed the garbage bags so they sit more natural
    - Added some different lighting to the scene to show off some of the normals for the trash can

I still can't figure out how to feather the edge of the concrete. I have my feathered mask in my diffuse map, but Marmoset is only giving me a hard edge like this. Any ideas?

17085681327_8b47e08f50_o.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Wow! Looks really cool!

I do have one comment on the can itself- most cans of that style are galvanized steel, which seems to wear/corrode a bit more uniformly. The style of wear you've got going on seems to give more of the illusion of rust underneath where an outer layer like paint has chipped away.

I'd probably tone back the color a little bit to something more neutral if you're looking to mimic the slow, uniform corrosion of galvanized materials. Or, if you want to give the illusion that it's a chipping painted surface, then actually try to push the contrast a bit more to differentiate that outer layer from the rusting material underneath.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Wasteland! Took what you said into consideration and checked out a few more reference photos and made some changes. You're right...it was looking more like painted metal rather than galvanized.

I took out a lot of the rust, added some more corrosion and oxidizing. Here's my results:

17088313177_61359ceb0d_o.jpg
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Here's another update:

Spent a little more time on the spec/normal map for the trash can and also worked on getting the cans to look better. Added a trash bag in the actual trash can.

If anyone knows how to feather the concrete ground layer, that would be awesome. I can't figure it out in Marmoset 2! Was easy in Marmoset 1. I have my alpha feathered...but it won't feather in M2...

17119029908_df1f9f3255_o.jpg