Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swamp Zombie WIP - Critiques Welcome

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
TravisBolek polycounter lvl 16
Here's a digital painting that I just started and would like to get some critiques on it. I definitely want to work on the zombie some more (work on the skull, the positioning of the right arm, and add more decay and disgust into him) and I feel that the composition could use some work.

pbpq9RX.jpg

wGzG37c.jpg

Replies

• curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    curlyhair polycounter lvl 3
    Zombie looks ok to me, nice zombie movement, but the colors and the compo need some serious enhancement
    Here,I've made a fast op for you.
    You should consider the stream of the water and the water circles the zombie should be making, strong back-light, point of interest,maybe adding some mist,eye glow :)
    ribtrd.png
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks for the tips!

I went ahead and made the zombie a bit darker and defined him a bit more. Still need to add proper shading and lighting to his tattered shirt. The background is becoming a bit of a mess. So here is what I got so far.

owvVIJc.png
  • Andrew F Productions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andrew F Productions polycounter lvl 3
    AWWW YEAH Zombies! always a good topic, for sure the lighting needs some work on the water and that background needs tightened up, also, in your origional sketch I liked the veins poping and all the loose things hanging, so definitly bring those back into play, dont just focus on one color with the zombie-

xMC5rph.jpg

I feel like with the green/yellow you already got going, you could really push the colors you normally see in a bruise through out this character. Just some thoughts! Really love this piece so far!
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was not expecting a pic of such a gnarly bruise! Good reference though.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'll definitely push the colors on the zombie more. I did start to use purple for the shading but started dialing it back. I'll add it in again to make it pop as well as some more yellows.

And the vines and such will come back for sure.
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bceqeY9.jpg

I changed the background a bit, made the trees more twisted. Added some damage to the zombie, which I think will be a good idea to add some more.
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been awhile since I've worked on this. I was unsatisfied with the composition of this one so I went back and did some thumbnails, which I should have done in the first place! Again, any critiques are more than welcome.

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And after a long period of inactivity on this piece, I finally got to a point to call it finished.