Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KA-BAR knife model

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
****I hate noticing a spelling error in the title after I post***** KA-BAR Knife

So after a crappy few weeks struggling on getting a normal map for my tar-21 baked (still having issues with shading errors too) I had to take today off and make something simple to at least prove to myself that I do know what I am doing. So here is a KA-BAR that I made this afternoon

High
16299949374_934450885a_opng

Low

16921338231_a949e6ffa2_opng

16921332351_dbc21159d1_opng

and the reference I used

1217Detailpng

when I texture I Intend on doing the variant with a black grip.

Replies

• RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started textureing the blade in substance designer 4. Its the first time Ive really used it so its kind of new so any suggestions on making edge wear and scratches would be helpful because when I use the masks it does not put the edge wear or paint wear on the blade

I have not yet made the Materials for the hilt, pommel and guard yet. was only looking at the blade.

16321334783_3c7da7be7e_b.jpg

16940432421_9e49cd8e37_b.jpg

16319005754_550c3cbb74_b.jpg

and I would like to be able to put wear like this on the actual edge of the blade where it has been sharpened. I'm thinking I may have to go into photoshop or substance painter for that.

Ka-Bar1211Fighterknife.jpg
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    The model is nice, but I have to say, I really, really don't like the wear. It look like frost, and I don't think you're placing it nicely either.

Bake a cavity map for the dirt, base your dirt map on it, for the scratches, try to think where they should be. And used ref, a lot, lot of ref. ( "kabar old", "kabar used", etc. ) And yeah, photoshop is a nice tool for all those things.

Don't rush the texturing, it's as important as the model, if you want to give the knife a look.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, I agree. The texturing doesn't look good. Would love to see that trim along the blade of the knife. Could probably do that via your metalness/spec and gloss and make it look really slick.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I think I am getting used to substance designer. I'm still just focusing on the blade.

Is this better?

16949405691_0f3c529551_h.jpg
    16327971294_7ab310f0de_h.jpg
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Well, the material used is better ( Why are the scratches white tho' ? ) , but the placement and the orientation still lacks logic. You really need to think how was the object used, and what is his shape.

First, use ref

FGs4KPb.jpg

What do you do with a knife ? You chop, and sometimes, you thrust. So logically, most of the wear will be on center part of the blade. ( Also, it's the part that you'll sharpen the most, so it's even more wear/polish. ) You can also see that nearly everywhere there a concave shape, there's dirt. ( You still have to take in account the use, for example : The concave part of a spoon wont have dirt on it, cause it's a "used" surface, that will often be on contact with something, like the center or the blade, for a knife.

Now lets see what you've done

JXLNxS4.jpg

The handle looks ok. ( No dirt treatment yet, but the wear is ok. )

Now the bottom back of the blade : It's ugly. First, why would this part be used so much, it's really close to guard, wich protect from impact if the knife was to fall, so it might never touch anything ( Unless you cut with back of your blades ? :p ). And even so, the way it's painted is flat on boring. Don't just paint a 1 millimeters on the edges, try to think of how they could have been made ( Impact with another blade ? )

Also that concave circle, why would there be so much wear here ? Ok it's a hard corner, but will it have that much contact with anything ? And again, it's so even, and boring ...

Nothing on the blade. Nearly, nothing. Wow. How ?

And finally the tip. Why not, if a knife if often thrown, it could have this kind of wear. ( Don't know if you can throw a kabar efficiently, mass distribution, etc. )

Finally, the orientation of those scratches. here's one of my old kitchen knife. Used it a lot.

SHmRoxD.jpg

You have to think about the shapes of your scratches : I chop a lot with it, so the scratches follow my different chopping moves. On your blade, most of the scratches look like splatters, and the few one on the blade ( Again, wow. ) are just dots. Why ?

So, voil
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feed back, so I went into substance painter since I feel that gives me a bit more control over the scratches vs designer and this I what I have so far. I still need to stamp in the stuff at the bottom of the blade into the normal map.

16982905882_83d81c096a_h.jpg
    16798058579_e466cff0c4_h.jpg
    16796781590_00b34c6881_h.jpg
    16796501318_485cb2c4c1_h.jpg
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    Your scratches look un-natural on the blade. Your texture is muddy, needs to have distinct shapes in the texture not just splotches of grunge everywhere.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I disagree there. The scratches are looking quite nice. That being said, I'd tune down the amount of visible scratching and some of the grime, namely along the blade in the middle and around the hilt.