Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I don't know who she is.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
duncan polycounter lvl 11
A new thing....

Problem is I have NO idea who she is. I need to figure it out. She started as an alternate Alice in Wonderland then she was some possibly cyborg mechanic chick, and everything in between. I just can't decide..but I need to because I am happy with the sculpt so far and I don't want to throw in the towel just because I can't decide.... Any suggestions are welcome.

> > > > > > > LATEST UPDATE < < < < < < <

Well I spent too much time thinking about this and not enough time doing it, so I guess I am a bit worn out, I think for the time being this is where I am going to stop. Still so much I wanted to do..... I mean she does not even have any eyebrows ... oh well maybe one day.

lkQ9jA.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

Replies

• duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new thing....

Problem is I have NO idea who she is. I need to figure it out. She started as an alternate Alice in Wonderland then she was some possibly cyborg mechanic chick, and everything in between. I just can't decide..but I need to because I am happy with the sculpt so far and I don't want to throw in the towel just because I can't decide.... Any suggestions are welcome.

wzlvlu.jpg

more soon.
  • fadox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The paintover pic remind me Pris from blade runner, i would suggest you to go for a likeness sculpt :D
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    cyborg ninja/samurai red riding hood?

The thing I like about her hair is it looks stiff and inorganic, but you could tell its hair. Something you'd see lady gaga would use. It also has that samurai hat silhouette from the side I'd imagine , except its hair! Hope you can get to know this fine lady better from that. :D
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I totally thought she was supposed to be Pris from blade runner when I saw the first pic as well.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Ariel.

Ariel is tired, but determined. A somewhat beaten doll polishing itself slowly but surely.

Ariel is a professional dancer in the East Brannderg District. She's just came off a bad relationship with an ex-boyfriend, someone who was knocking her around for too long, taking avantage of her dream to love and be loved.

She used to have long hair, but after the break-up she changed it, feeling a need to express her new found emotional freedom with physical change as well.

She tapped back into her dancing career that she left behind when she moved in with her ex. She's not as thin and lithe as she was before, but her shapely body could still undulate, snap, pop, and glide. She knew restarting would be challenging, so gogo dancing was acceptable in her book.

Her hours are long in the night, something she's not used to. She's getting bags under her eyes. She's had to take stimulants, intravenous and orally, to keep energized. But her drive hasn't died. These club gigs will only be for a couple months. At most a couple years. Just gotta save, and wait for the next opportunity to rehearse for a Broadway show. She's not there yet, but she will be. She'll be what her 12 year old self wanted to be after seeing Cats for the first time in New York.

Ariel is a gogo dancer. She works in East Brannderg. Her curves flick and carve laser light and neon glows into feminine form, accentuating the thumping whines of the DJ music.

She is alive. She is doing decently. Her spring is coming.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    reminiscent of Pris from Bladerunner

Pris.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thanks guys.

Yeah Pris seems to be popular. I was not thinking of her at all while sculpting this character. I pretty much based the whole thing off a few imager
    the lips from this chick....1f39462704d096cd3ff490553dfd87a3.jpg

the hair from this chick..... 26aa2a03f8aa9f214d9f42ac7303b3ed.jpg

and the poseish of this two chicks .... 87f47ae313334adc03836f380bb42bd9.jpg....e98f094c57e73ae99d8a99a14da83f67.jpg

@ Brian "Panda" Choi : So cool. Thanks you so much for offering up this story. haha a dancer... what a fresh and fantastic idea. I think I am going to go with it for while at least and see where it takes us. Thanks again man, this was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. :thumbup:
    Now all I have to do is find some rad dancer ref for clothing ideas.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    Oh god, the ref make my day.
    " Her curves flick and carve laser light and neon glows into feminine form "

This can be pretty sick when you'll work on the light. For real, i want to see more.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Kamezis : Yeah Brian "Panda" Choi painted a great picture. I am a little more excited to work on this now.

Rough paintover of the new direction. Still trying to develop her style. Any suggestions welcome.

IzL4ZL.jpg

more soon.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe some piercings, but something that's floral and decorative, not just metal bands.

I really like the start though.
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    "I don't know who she is" but she is gorgeous ... and like "Panda" said some flower tattoo can be good for her ... but maybe not a regular flower maybe a sci-fi flower O_o
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! Nice job here. I dont know who she is too but I really like her hair! I like the way your going just maybe use an destroye pants too ... I'm looking foward to see where it goes! =D
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys and girls. :poly108:

just a bit of an update on her outfit. I have been playing with her hair too and I actually think I am going to cut it much shorter....but we will have to see.

b7qcES.jpg

Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

more soon.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I like the face sculpt, looking forward to more
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I'm liking her mouth. I think you can add more volume to it as its looking quite flat right now.
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    she strangely reminded me of this
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAXmgId3NTQ[/ame]
    regards
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

@ riceart : haha I can definitely see that.

Bit of hair shape testings...

I really dig the shorter hair but I am not sure if I like it as much as the crazy hair. What do you guys and girls think?

176FtG.jpg

udCPnO.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

more soon.

......actually I think I prefer the shorter hair.. plus it fits better with the story.
  • aFungusAmongUs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aFungusAmongUs polycounter lvl 8
    first look i was going to say that the long hair fits better, but now i'm just as lost as you probably are with this. both look good. maybe develop the character's background a bit and sculpt out the clothes and maybe you'll be be inspired, who knows
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the "feathered" hairstyle in Sunset Overdrive, here is a link to a video going through the different ones (feathered is at 1:54)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLNOrok7Ds&quot;]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLNOrok7Ds[/ame]
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Damn, I really dig the short hair. I like the shoulder tattoo but make sure it still separates from the shirt. Almost blends into the shirt color right now.
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    I like the crazier hair more, although both are good. The hairstyles kinda remind me of Natalie Portman in Closer.

I also love how the lips turned out, looking forward to seeing more :D
  • Odeca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    I prefer short haired more, but I'm out of context as it's my fetish lol. What about metals necklace instead of piercings?

BND-CL_large-500x500.pngGRB-CS_large-500x500.png
  • Dill-n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dill-n polycounter lvl 6
    I'm team long hair.

Great work Duncan, looking forward to more :D
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Long hair looks nicer for me :)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    team long hair also
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Short hair look awesome. Also for the piercing i would go with face piercing. I think a monroe, anti-brow or a labret could be nice

Facial-Piercings1.jpg
    All the information here http://blog.bodycandy.com/2011/11/02/whats-that-called-facial-piercing-names-and-locations/

also this is totally personal taste but seeing her string could add something. Also her belly's tattoo would be nicier if it would continue on the thighs.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

@ Odow : Thanks for the ref. I was probably going to go for minimal facial piercing because so many of my female characters end up with tattoos piercings and glasses...... but I guess I can make an exception :D. IF I were to add piercings it would probably be something like my update.

@ Odeca : "metals necklace" is that just kind of like a regular necklace? I will probably avoid necklaces simply because they bounce around and would probably frustrate you while you were dancing.... I guess.

@ Chantel-sky : Thanks. Yeah I can see the "closer" vibe.

@ slosh : Thanks man. Yeah I am pretty sure I am going to go for the shorter hair. Shoulder tat is totally placeholder. it was pretty much a drag and drop from the internets. Plus I have been playing with the colour of the jumper so much that I just left it.

@ CandyStripes05 : cool. Feathered is pretty nice. good ref for hair styles thanks.

@ aFungusAmongUs : Thanks. totally agree. I was pretty sold on the longer hair but re-read the story and decided to cut a bit more off to see how it felt. Seems to be pretty polarizing but the more I see it the more I am convinced...short hair all the way.

Possible piercings... Never really intended to have much IF any but as usual I added them... took a look..... took them off and instantly put them back on again.... BUT this I swear...no glasses...scouts honor.

LNrHOQ.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

more soon.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice progress! The short hair looks indeed much better. =)
    About the paintover, I'm not sure about the loose socks on the ankles, the silhouette gets a bit heavy with them.
    Looking forward to see more ! =)
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Abrvpt : Thanks :thumbup: They are leg warmers I believe dancers were them to help prevent injury. I am not sure. Without them I am a bit worried she would not look much like a dancer at all so at this stage I am probably going to keep them in.. plus I kind of don't mind the chunkyness. I think it kind of helps to break up what would otherwise be a fairly large flat chunk of skin.

Bit of a pointless update...... I have had no time to work on this but I have started some clothes.

kLIdOy.jpg

more soon.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the sake of realism, unless you want it specifically deisgned this way, I think the shirt should still be hanging off the apex of the breast shape instead of hugging the underboob.

This is mostly a design decision though. I would think it more real if it hangs.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    long hair had a very strong silhouette. doz references. (doz is proper pluralization for dat, yes? ... /shrug)
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Brian "Panda" Choi : yup... you are 100% correct. Just did not have a chance to do that bit yet :thumbup:

it will be something more like this....ish...except maybe not soo loose.

gpt29I.jpg

@ killnpc : hahah yep I will buy that "doz" is correct. Yeah the long hair had a pretty punchy silhouette.. it is all placeholder till I do the fibermesh.. or however I am gonna do it so I may still change back.... or change it again altogether :D
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No time but there is a little more on the jumper. Gonna move onto the shorts and the rest before I go back for more detail.

JM8xwV.jpg

more soon I hope.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    really nice. she has tons of character
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ LRoy : Thanks :)

yay I found some time....one more before I switch off for the night.

FiOIq3.jpg

more soon.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I think the mouth and the brow region could use more work.
    nose-job-rhinoplasty-before-fullsize-12506-22187.jpg

Right now your browline looks more masculine than feminine, it's very angular and sharp, and the nose is a bit too pronounced. I think I can understand the kind of facial expression you're going for with this one, but the forms of the mouth just aren't there yet.

Other than that it's a very cool project, I'd love to see more :)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    ugh I'm loving this!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I don't agree with SuperFranky at all. We could make sure every female a button nose blonde that conforms to a more standardized, glamour model archetype, by making sure the brow lines are always super femanine and that the noses are tiny and not emphasized, but that would be pretty boring.

Your forms for the face are working together and give her fantastic character that people are obviously responding too, keep it up!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    I don't agree with SuperFranky at all. We could make sure every female a button nose blonde that conforms to a more standardized, glamour model archetype, by making sure the brow lines are always super femanine and that the noses are tiny and not emphasized, but that would be pretty boring.

Your forms for the face are working together and give her fantastic character that people are obviously responding too, keep it up!

Well, I guess I can see your point. I just said what I think, it's up to the artist to decide what is best after all :) I didn't know his intentions for this, so I tried to help... I was only thinking about anatomy, that's all.

I still think the face needs more work, tho.
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    She is looking lovely so far Duncan! Really like the styling :)
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She's coming along nicely, Duncan!

My only crit would be is her nose seems too long, as the brow line should line up with the top of the ears.

Looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not a fan of the facial piercings, but I suspect that might be a case of me being old and not getting the weird shit that young people are into these days.

Aside from that, she could probably do with a little more love in the knee department, though maybe you've not gotten down that far.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Absolutely love it. And that posing is rocking!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW... Thanks for all of the awesome feedback and coments everyone.

@ SuperFranky : Thanks for the awesome ref. Wish I had of found that earlier. I totally get what you are saying and I agree...to a degree. but I also agree with ysalex. I am not really after a photo-realistic or a pretty woman but I would like her to "feel" natural. Also not really going for any real facial expression yet just kind of playing around. Before I go to much further with the face I want to get the rest of her locked down then I can go through and adjust and detail everything at once....Having said that.. I have and will continue to tweek the proportions of the face until I am happy with them. Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

@ Tits : hehe thanks :D.

@ CandyStripes05 : Thankyou :thumbup:

@ ysalex : "We could make sure every female a button nose blonde that conforms to a more standardized, glamour model archetype, by making sure the brow lines are always super femanine and that the noses are tiny and not emphasized, but that would be pretty boring." Agreed 100%...good call :thumbup:

@ afisher : haha awesome, Thanks man. ALWAYS happy to hear from you.

@ Chantel-sky : Thanks, yeah I have dropped the Nasion, Glabella and the Brow ridges, as well as lifting the bottom of the nose which also lengthened the Philtrum. Over all I think I am happier with the results. Thanks :thumbup:

@ Jackablade : hahah. I was not actually going to add and piercings.. but once they were in I took them out and felt they add too much and put them back in.. Perhaps I will drop them again in the detailing stage. Good call on the knees. Not 100% sure on her outfit yet so before I whip out the anatomy ref I want to try and decide if she is going to be wearing shorts or pants. At first I was thinking shorts but I found some interesting pants ref that I thought could be cool for some cloth practice....which is always fun.

@ Fomori : Thanks :thumbup:... At first I thought the pose was a cool idea..not very dynamic but cool...then kind of hated it but now I think it is offering some coolish shapes for sculpting draping cloth details.

OK so played with the face details. I have dropped the Nasion, Glabella and the Brow ridges, as well as lifting the bottom of the nose which also lengthened the Philtrum. Over all I think I am happier with the results. also testing out some cool drappy pants..which do you guys prefer? In a lot of ways I think I prefer the baggy pants. I feel like they add more interest.

OgS04C.jpg

Thanks again. Time for sleep now.

More soon.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    woow :) this is looking amazing man!!! I love her face!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't touch this.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow i'm loving this! keep it up!
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her face is looking much better! I like the freckles, too.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Chantel-sky : Thanks. Yeah I dig Freckles, they add instant interest. I always use them but I just can't ever seem to take them out...perhaps they will become a kind of calling card. :)

Thanks everyone. Pretty sure I am going to go with the pants over the shorts. Means I might need to change her back story a bit but mehhh..these things happen.