Home Technical Talk

Curved Surface Bake Error

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
atomander polycounter lvl 7
Hi folks, trying to bake out what should be a pretty straight forward map, but running into lots of issues. I've created a lamp asset, with the low poly shown below, and the highpoly simply a turbosmoothed version with some nicer beveled edges and smoother flares.

nm64ieA.jpg

However, when I bake out the normal for these in xNormal, the area near the seams on the flared sections don't seem to match up. And I can't figure out the cause; no flipped normals, smoothing groups set up appropriately along seams, etc. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Visible seam with normal map:
ehf2EQE.jpg

Trouble areas highlighted in normal map:
fANP2xk.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Emanuel_palalic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emanuel_palalic polycounter lvl 6
    I can't really think of many issues. Do you think you might have hardened some edges on accident? Also are these normals left handed or right handed? You might have to flip the green channel depending on how you baked it. What compression are you using on the image? That also may cause some issues.
  • Emanuel_palalic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emanuel_palalic polycounter lvl 6
    You might want to try baking with some padding as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep looks like green channel needs to be inverted, probably due to baking in max and previewing somewhere else. What are you using to bake, and what to preview?
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    First you need to take in account the mirrored UVs,
    so when you bake i assume you bake the half of the object or either move the mirrored UVs aside...

as Emanuel_palalic said go ahead and put some padding in your bake
    and most importantly check your export option (on the model you are applying the normal map to) for fbx Max should have options such tangents and binormals, make sure you uncheck this and apply the normal map on the exported mesh to check other errors.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses! I am exporting both my high poly and low poly models from max to bake in xNormal. The bake results look great when taken into Marmoset and using a UE4 default template:

w7OOq3E.jpg

No Seam! Perfect Bake?

But on taking it into Unreal, I get am still getting a seam along the UV. Flipping the green channel doesn't seem to help.

7TAAmzC.jpg

There are no mirrored UV's in this model. Any other ideas what might be up?
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Make sure that the normal map's compression is set to TC_Normal and not something else. I believe if you name your map _n or _normal it'll auto set it to normal map compression.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was it! What I thought was inverted normals I think was actually just bad compression/low lightmap resolution! Thanks AdvisableRobin!