Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Etta

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone,

I am trying to update my demo reel with human/humanoid models, and I am trying to learn anatomy better.

Meet Etta. The suit she is wearing is going to be textured next, but first I need to get the anatomy knocked out. Any feedback you can give me would be awesome. Thank you for your time and it's great to be a part of the community.

Mitchell

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What does Etta do when she wakes up and starts her day?
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is Etta's back story: in the distant future, machines have wiped out most of mankind. Much so that the remaining humans have been forced back to tribal life. They create their own weapons and even live in decapitated machines, even wear some of their parts. Etta and her tribe, as well as the remaining tribes, plan to conquer the machines and take back their world.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what does she do now to fight against the machines?

(As an aside, what I'm trying to ask is 'What about her design, silhouette, equipment, look, fashion speaks to what she does?' Backstory tells me where she comes from, but doesn't directly inform me of her present nor future goals at this time.

As an example, I'm going to describe a game character that people have played.

______ used to be a bespeckled physics scientist at an underground New Mexico lab until aliens started invading his facility through a rip in dimensions. Donning a futuristic HVAC suit and picking up a crowbar, he sets out to close the open portal.

What I get from that: special HVAC suit, crowbar weapon, scientist (maybe lanky build, not a lot of ovious muscles), has glasses, doesn't LOOK heroic necessarily so probably not a hottie archetypically.

What you character DOES should inform how he/she/it looks like to players.)

Technical critiques:
    - raise the arms to either 45 degrees or 90, you're going to make rigging more frustrating for technical artists. Game development is many times a group effort, and unless you're comfortable smooth binding to a skeletong from that pose, don't assume the rigger who's getting your model will.

If you're working from a piece of concept art or references, show us.

Use IMGUR to post photos since the thumbnaisl directly load into the thread instead of attaching it. This is more a recommendation, I just see a lot of people use it on Polycount.

Can we get a closer turnaround of the head?
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She equips herself with aerodynamic skin suits, blades on her arms and knuckles, and she and her tribe go out hunting machines. The way their system works is that they are trying to take back their world one machine-driven city at a time. Every machine they slay each day brings them that much closer to freeing one more city. Once a machine is slayed, her tribe collects any salvageable parts for living or clothing purposes. Her hair is going to have a braid tied with a metal nut. She isn't terribly muscular but she is flexible and a little bit beefy.

Thank you for your technical critique Brian. I'll be sure to raise her arms a bit. By the way, does this mean that the characters in my reel don't have to be posed? Can they just be in their T-Pose or rigging position? If so, this will save me a lot of work.

I understand I need to make things easier on the rigger, but do you have any anatomical feedback? Before I move on with her I need to make sure she looks anatomically accurate overall.

Bare with me this is my first Polycount thread. Where is the IMGUR where I can post image? That way I can show you the concept drawing and some head closeups.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They don't have to be posed. If you can add a pose though, it'll add to your presentation value.

Sorry, I gotta hold back. I can't provide critique on your anatomy without taking off the clothes on the sculpt. It will also be better if you presented us with the actual photo reference you're using to emulate from.

This is Imgur. Upload images and link it into the thread using the BBC code that's provided.

Once we get the concept art and reference you have up onto this thread, I think we can get formally started on critiques.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I figured not posing it would be fine.

The suit she's wearing is a skin suit. Actually, i first designed her with a full body, but once I made the suit my professor suggested doing only a head bust under the suit. So I'm hoping that the anatomy looks realistic in a way in which a tight suit is over it.

I'll have to put the images up tonight or tomorrow. I'll be out of town today. It's been a crazy week with family around. I haven't been able to get any work done. But I'll get those up and we can officially do critiques.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I figured not posing it would be fine.

The suit she's wearing is a skin suit. Actually, i first designed her with a full body, but once I made the suit my professor suggested doing only a head bust under the suit. So I'm hoping that the anatomy looks realistic in a way in which a tight suit is over it.

I'll have to put the images up tonight or tomorrow. I'll be out of town today. It's been a crazy week with family around. I haven't been able to get any work done. But I'll get those up and we can officially do critiques.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this homework?
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not homework. This is for my reel. I'm actually done with school. But before graduation I got my professor's opinion.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    That model needs alot more work.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post your images so we can help. Won't be say anything of substance until we see what you're seeing.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG][/img]jFhkphx.jpg
    [IMG][/img]9okg20y.jpg
    [IMG][/img]Xbly9R3.jpg
    jRXjPcr.jpg
    [IMG][/img]LwShYv2.jpg
    [IMG][/img]4dkzl0X.jpg
    [IMG][/img]M3VhoiP.jpg
    [IMG][/img]8d5A3Zr.jpg
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the top is the concept image my friend drew out. I also took the liberty of posting the pictures of the model in full size now. At the bottom are some anatomical references I've been working with. I can add the facial references when I post some head closeups. But for now, what can you say about the body anatomy?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post her naked. Can't critique anatomy if I can't see the anatomy.

Also, while it is good you found MEDICAL anatomy references, you will primarily benefit from nude femal figure references at this time. For beginners, it's hard to translate muscle groups to what it will look like on the skin with only medical references. You need to be cross referencing with a nude female model to see what muscles are ACTUALLY visible, or how groups of muscles look with skin on top of them.

Choose a female nude model reference, and post it here.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Actually, if I may butt in for a sec, it's a good idea to never use those 3D models with textured muscles for ref.
    They're highly inaccurate, and the muscles don't morph with the movements so they're even more off when posed. Remove them from your life, and take a look at some 3D scans of real people, photos of real people, and this is also a good resource for proportions and breakdowns, etc:
    https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy.php
    Choose a female nude model reference, and post it here.

Seriously though, +1 to this. There's tons of good nude female ref for working off. Some are even made with modelling/sculpting in mind.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian: Like I said, her body is no longer attached to her head bust. My ZBrush professor recommended that. But I made this suit from her body in ZBrush. I'm going for what the suit looks like over her muscular body if it was under there.

And I see what you mean about those medical references. I have also been working with nude models from Ten24. Here are my references for those:
    QDmsGt7.jpg
    oHRMXbw.jpg
    yojI7Vi.jpg
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bagel Hero: I see what you mean. Just like what Brian was saying, it is hard to tell what the skin is going to look like over the muscles in those illustrations.

Also thank you for giving me that link, the more reference the better.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While the scan is wonderful, it's better if you find actual photographs. Train your eyes to see better by practicing with reality straight up.

While I get that the body suit is super tight on her body, you're doing yourself a disservice by not having the physical mesh of the body underneath. You have to understand, clothes do not float in space. Their volume and form is affected by how gravity forces it to interact with other forces, like a body or a chair. No body means you lack solid reference to really know if a fold should THAT deep, etc. Add a body back in. At this point in time, it's better you work as if this is real-life skintight suit rather than thinking it's correct.

Also, before you continue on, you're working at too high a resolution to get clean surfaces. You need to drop your subdivision levels or Zremesh to get a much more low poly subtool. Lumpiness comes from subdividing too early, happens to the best of us. Pull back and wait till you get your major forms blocked in before continuing.

Can you post closer screenshots of the head? There's anatomy issues going on but it's hard to tell since you still haven't posted them.

I am interested to see if the style of the concept art translates. Reminds me of the Clone Wars in terms of art direction.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Came in here thinking this was a bust of Etta James. Am disappointed :( But your start on YOUR Etta looks nice!
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand Brian. I will keep that in mind. The high resolution issue does make sense. Sometimes it's hard to get rid of any unwanted lumps because there are just too many faces. So I will definitely consider working at lower geometry levels in some parts. I will have close up pictures of the head by this afternoon.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, sorry to disappoint you, lol. That's actually how my concept designer friend named her, was after Etta James.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are those head closeups:

Y7xsRZJ.jpg
    mTnmXwh.jpg
    6HFzwXq.jpg
    KFbB0qX.jpg
    BFSnuHj.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's going to be easier to critique your head if you can give me specifically what head you're referencing when you were sculpting it.

Right now, I want to say, in general, it looks off and does not look like a woman.

But how we can fix that can vary which way or that.

Do you or did you have a specific person's head in mind, or a photograph, when you were sculpting?
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brian, sorry to get back to you a few days later. As far as having a concrete reference head, it's kind of been knocked around this way and that. But I've officially confirmed the ethnicity to be Asian, so I can find an Asian actress for reference.

As far as the head being anatomically off, how so? Why doesn't it look like a woman? Does it have anything to do with anatomical muscle groups?
  • air
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    air
    You should find what actress you want to use as a reference and then find tons of pictures with different angles of them and compare them with your face. I also think you should turn the polypaint off on your face while you're working on it to make it easier to see details without seeing all the different colors on it.

lzE9osq.jpg

Here's an image of your face near a picture of a woman's face. Look at them both and spot the differences between them and try changing yours to match the overall position of things, or do this with a different reference picture and I think that will help make your face more realistic. Good luck with this!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're on the right path about muscle groups, but as you've seen, people come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I've seen Asian women who I would think we're men at certain distances.

This is why I mention having a specific reference. You've made a good call planning to choose a specific female Asian face. It will help you to just focus your efforts on emulating a look, defining an objective render target beyond "does it look like a woman? Does it look good?"

More opportunities to whittle out ambiguities in your process here, the better for your learning.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Air. It's funny I think I've found that picture before. I will definitely work with that image and line the profile up with it.

Brian, thank you for helping me make sure I'm on the right track. Yeah sometimes Asian faces that differ in gender can be kind of confusing. You're right i was taught in school to sculpt a specific person when sculpting a human face.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've moved on from the body and decided to go ahead and put Etta in her suit. I personally think she's starting to look pretty cool. The head is now being worked on but I thought I'd post these up for feedback in the meantime.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Hey,
    the suit is starting to look interesting. However, you might reconsider those shapes on her boots. Right now, they seem very impractical and prone to hamper her range of motion. Maybe mirror those arches and take away stuff from the inside.
    Right now, the upper body seems to be missing a similar silhouette breakup though, so it might be good to focus on that mainly as that is where you are bound to look first unless your goal is to attract attention to the boots.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you DerRazputin. You're right I was a little worried about the boots. I was following the concept drawing on those boots, but when the model is in 3D changes usually get made. I have an idea of incorporating the repetitive rectangular pattern that's on the suit, into the boots. Hopefully this would balance everything out.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lean her upper torso back. It feels like she's starting to tip forward a bit.

Are you going to fix the head eventually?
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I would say that you should use the move tool and try to adjust the general shape of the face to more closely resemble your reference, for example, i can see that her forehead is way to slanted, nose seems a bit too pointy, and she seems to have quite an under bite, to name some things. Sometimes I use the see through mode on Zbrush to get those things right.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian: I'll move her upper torso back a tad. And yes, right now I am working on fixing her head. I found some references of an Asian Actress that I am using. Hopefully I'll have the latest sculpt posted tonight or tomorrow.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator: I have been trying to move all of the proportions slowly into place. And I'm glad you've named all of those specifics. That is the kind of feedback I look for, that way I can fix specific details.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my latest work done on her head. I've been using pics of an Asian actress for reference (which I will put in the next post). I'm a little worried though. I feel like now I'm kind of wrecking it. I'm mostly worried about the eyes and the cheek bones. I can definitely use all the feedback I can get right now :,(

XW273b4.jpgbFxmRNk.jpgYzf8uir.jpg
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some of the reference images. Keep in mind though that I don't want this character to look the exact same age as this person. I want Etta to be young, late teens-early twenties.

4p1OXsH.jpgqhpd3gI.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Charlie is doing the same face you are! You'll get good reference for a render target from his thread.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145608

Also, drop your resolution. You're getting muddiness in your sculpt again because you're trying to make sweeping changes at such high detail.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Do you have side shots of her? It looks like you're making up a lot of forms based on what you think you know, rather than what you're actually seeing and observing.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I couldn't find any Profile pics of her.

And I'll check out Charlie's thread.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw Charlie's head. You're right Brian, it is very similar. I can definitely use his head for an example but obviously I'm not going to completely copy him.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to really pay attention to the planes of the face from the Asaro head (google it) so you know how to really define your medium forms. You get blobbiness by just sculpting what you think you know.

Also notice how clean his sculpt is, and how he accounts for real world forces like how leather tucks into a seam, or how a particular piece of armor separates, etc.

Avoid blobbiness, get clean meshes for your sculpt.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that Asaro head is in interesting tool. Yeah it looks like each plane represents the overall shape of the skull. Such as how the cheeks are formed and where every dip is on the skull.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my latest work on her head. Thank you Brian for suggesting the Asaro head. It really helped me a lot and I used Charlie's head as an example to work from. Before I start on texturing I want to make sure the overall sculpt is done. I hope to have the complete sculpted version on my website this time next week, so any feedback is appreciated. The only thing I'm a little worried about right now is the nose and mouth area.

jh6wJsq.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The flesh around the philtrum is concave instead of convex. That's why you're getting this duck-face going on. It's suppose to curve out towards the upper line of the top lip instead of curving in. Use Clay brush, add more mass there, and curve it out.

Also, the width of the head as it goes above past the eyes is WAY too narrow. It's looking alien. get a woman's naked head, do an overlay in Photoshop over your sculpt, and make the fixes as you literally see them. You're just making it all planar on the sides instead of accounting for the bony landmarks of the sides of the frontal bone and then temporal bone of the face.

Do you see how the top of the head doesn't narrow towards the top?

0511_humanskull-antview_1.jpg

Lucy Liu doesn't have that much double eyelid, if at all. Remove it.

You're not quite catching the planes of the inner lips, both bottom and top. Do you se ehow i the asaro head, the plane inwards toward the inside of the mouth? The lack of those inward planes is further accentuating the duck-lips issue.

Drop your Sub-Ds, get back to getting you basic forms becfore you think about making things look smooth. Be comfortable with your model looking like a bunch of tesellated squares, because if that's not locked in, you're going to have a bad time trying to fix things later.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh okay. Yeah I was wondering why I kept getting the duck-mouth. And yes I now see that the top of the head needs to be widened. She does look like a Cone Head. So I'll definitely go back in and fix that.

That's true I need to go back to the lips and flatten them down a little bit more on the inside.

I have been dropping my Sub-Div Levels more. Sometimes though, I get this fear of smoothing away too much while on the second lowest level. I have to be very careful around the nose area.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the latest turnaround on Etta. Hopefully she's finally reaching completion as far as sculpt goes. Any last minute feedback is appreciated. I hope to move onto the hair next. Any suggestions for sculpting long flowing hair? Also, any suggestions on alphas for skin texture?

9NX1vKZ.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's lumpiness on the collar, plates on the thighs, insets near the serratus anterior, knee cap armor, and some of the raised lines from the shoulder to elbow.

Do you have a close-up of the face again? It looks odd still.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's lumpiness in all those areas? Here is a closeup of the head:

C1Rn6wz.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, there are unclean curves with visible jagged lines. I suspect you inflated from a mask from a less-than ideal dense mesh.

For the raised plates, I'd just make seperate subtools for the plate. Retopologize and have a cleaner mesh.