Home Technical Talk

Marmoset reflection distortion problem

Hey, guys. I've encountered a reflection distortion in marmoset and don't know if it supposed to be there or not. Basically, all I did is push out some faces on a sphere. One smooth group, no textures.
Is this band of distortion supposed to be there in this situation or I'm doing something wrong?

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I think it's supposed to be there I'm just having a weird time working out how to explain it.

It's definitely the vertex normals, think about the way they're pointing, in that area they're pretty averaged/pointing the same way. If you want a sphere-like reflection on a not properly spherical mesh you'll probably want to check out something like normal thief.

That's my understanding of what's going on any way.

EDIT:
    I just had a quick test of what might be occurring here, it could also be caused by your UVs. At least the sharp line might be.

3a9b8afd220afba26ff49e8b3916ade6.png

The band is still normal though.
  • Count Vertsalot
    You basically made a funhouse mirror, you have a concave reflection in the middle of a convex reflection. It's accurate. Just looks weird.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    You basically made a funhouse mirror, you have a concave reflection in the middle of a convex reflection. It's accurate. Just looks weird.

That's the perfect answer haha.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch. Normal thief indeed helped to make it sphere-like, too.