Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mikasa Ackerman Sculpt

First polycount thread!

Kind of a WIP, just looking for some feedback on the sculpt so far. Anything need fixing, or any details I should add?

I also did a kind of shitty paintover of the face to show what I plan the albedo to look like.

Replies

• AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are linked images rather than attachments:

mikasa_ackerman_sculpt__wip_2__by_acidzack-d8m0lc8.jpg

and the paintover:

mikasa_sculpt_face_paintover__wip__by_acidzack-d8m0ltc.jpg
  • AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I have worked on this, so I'm gonna post a quick update.
    So far I have retopologized, UV'd and baked my maps. I Started to work on at least the base for my albedo map as well. I also created the texture for the hair (as can be seen in the bottom render).

So far the character has 40k tris and 4 materials with 2k maps. The 3DMG will also get its own material and maps (but this is so potentially the same 3DMG could be used across all characters). I anticipate that the tricount of the 3DMG will be somewhere around 4-7k. So the total character should be under 50k.

mikasa_ackerman_game_character_wip_3_by_acidzack-d8skbz7.png

mikasa_hair_render_by_acidzack-d8skcg7.png
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    this is looking great so far. Subbed :)
  • AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an updated render in Toolbag 2. I havent begun to work on the skin shaders yet and I need to refine the hair a bit more.

mikasa_ackerman_game_character_wip_4_by_acidzack-d8symuz.png
  • AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I updated, It seems no one is really following this thread, however I might as well post the latest progress.

Aside from a couple of things that I stupidly missed and will have a tedious time doing now that everything else is done, I just need to rig it, which is my weakest skill.

11145145_10204496586482178_2002064988588493019_o.jpg
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    There is some really good stuff going on here. I think the folds on the clothing need work. The figure proportions are very nice and the anatomy looks good. I think the only thing missing is the concept could be stronger and the presentation is not very strong. Check out these guys to get inspired. http://www.cgstudentawards.com/next-gen-gaming/soty-finalists-games?view=category Particularly the second guy top right. Look at the comic girl concept in the showreel and compare it to what you have here. Look at what elements your work is missing and get stuck into a new character with that in mind.

Getting no reactions on a thread is gold because you know you have to keep searching for subject matter that will inspire your public.

Cheerio
  • AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying not to deviate from the design of the original character in the Anime (look up mikasa ackerman) in google if you aren't familiar with Attack on Titan.

I'm aware its not exactly portfolio ready presentation, it could really use a good rig and a well composed epic action shot. However my rigging skills suck and for some reason Maya doesn't show the visualization of my skeleton weights, which really sucks so I have been putting it off.
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    Her face is currently ruining the rest of the piece. Everything looks at least semi realistic and then you have cartoon eyes, the styles don't match.

You're going to have to deviate a bit and make her face look more realistic
  • AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her face is currently ruining the rest of the piece. Everything looks at least semi realistic and then you have cartoon eyes, the styles don't match.

I'm gonna self bump, hopefully others can add their input on this. I personally was pleasantly surprised with how they combined.
  • AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a wireframe, just because I didn't add one previously.

11794496_10204829396002208_1780928100708266083_o.jpg