Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi gun WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Leinad polycounter lvl 11
Working on a new gun from a concept art. (Concept art by Jim Svanberg)

I would love to catch any obvious modeling issues as early as possible before I start really finalizing the detail. This is the initial block. There are some areas that are clipping through that I plan on fixing now. I am keeping all of the mirrored geo on one side for now. Once I finalize them then I'll mirror it over.

Like always, feedback is always appreciated! Thanks!

DELETE.jpg

Assault_rifle_by_jimsvanberg.jpg

Replies

• THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    Dan! Haha funny randomly clicking a post and seeing it's you! My only feedback is that on the rounded dial, just above the trigger (with the glow element around it) it looks like you have the rectangular glow segment in the center sculpted out. I think it would be cut in instead; same with the same glowing rectangle on the dial close to the hand grip.

Also, just above the clip is the lever to cock back the internal hammer. On the side view from your sculpt it looks like you just have it a small thumb tab, when it should actually stick out enough for a hand to grab it and pull it back.

X95.jpg

Like this ^^^
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup Travis!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, I'll make those adjustments =P
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update. Still have a few things left to do. Still need to invert the glow segment and make a few smaller modifications.

delete1.jpg

Quick edit to have another angle

delete3.jpg
  • Grubber
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    VLdp0np.jpg
    I think this part should be U shaped. Other than that great :)
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Grubber, it means a lot to me getting this kind of feedback. I fixed that issue, I think I am 99% done, unless any other issue is pointed out to me. Here is the current model.

delete4.jpg
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    It took me a while, so many pieces to get looking just right. But here is what I have of the current game resolution. Most of the stuff hasn't been mirrored to the other side yet. I am at roughly 10.4k triangles.

Still got a few minor modifications to make, but I figured it's at a good stage to post an update of.

DELETE.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Bake looks really clean. What did you use to bake that?

Some edges, like the ones on the barrels at the ends (don't gun parts) looks a bit too hard. Otherwise, its looking neat.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The barrels don't have normals on em yet. Since the barrel normals were giving me some issues to get looking right I ended up beveling some geo to test it to see if that does the trick. But since you noticed it, I'll be going in and adding the normals to it now. Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback.

I am glad it looks clean! I've been using a mixture of xnormal and painting normals. Anything that I can layout in a straight line (like the linear padding looking patterns on the handle/ammo clip) I cleaned up in photoshop since it was easier to do.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    One last update for the night. The barrel front area now has a normal map. A big part of my workflow has been unwrapping the uvs in a way to have seams at the edges of corners which can make some edges look a bit sharp depending on the light direction. The area that stands out the most is the front bottom edge of the piece that has the 4 oval shape indentations.

Either way, here is the current bake, now all that is left is mirroring it over to the other side and merging all of the maps into one unified texture sheet. Fun stuff!

delete1.jpg
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin solid man!
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Hot damn dis is real nice. Started thinking of the materials yet?
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate it! Chase, I am going into the materials now since I got the game rez model and map ready. I really wanted to make sure I take my time on getting the basics done right so that I don't have to revisit it later on.

Here is the game rez model. The final version is at 6,631 polies. I used black for the normal background just to make it easier to see the uv spacing, the final version will have the proper flat normal color.

Now, the fun part begins (assuming no one spots any obvious mistakes/errors in the current model that can easily be fixed). I'll be texturing this in substance painter. I've been having a blast learning how to use the program.

delete3.jpg

delete1.jpg

delete2.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    You're probably going to hate me for saying this, now that you've done the bakes, but the front looks unfinished somewhat. I know these areas are usually not seen in game, especially if its a FPS and this is the player's gun, but if another character was pointing this at you it could stand out.

You just need to integrate the two barrels into the rest of the gun more. I know you can't see that part in your concept, so you should take some liberties and make something that works.

Other than that, I still think it looks great. Really nice bakes.

ouhs3dx.jpg
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I ran into a similar issue with the muzzle not looking integrated and instead just laying flat against the gun. For the bottom muzzle you can do a quick trick to make it appear less floaty. Just create a white circle around the uv and convert the circle with ndo or crazy bump. Then youll have a bevel look to the surface. Shout out to Tim for that quick fix!
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for all of the feedback guys! It means a lot! Here is what I am going with, I am trying to keep it simple since I don't want to mess up the original design with my shitty design skills. Let me know what you think :)

I still need to figure out what what to do with the aim thing. I might just add some simple geo and connect it to the barrel a bit. Nothing fancy.

I also took the opportunity, given that I had to go back in anyway and re-bake the map, and smoothed a lot of the edges of the core piece.

delete1.jpg
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the textured model! I am still going through and putting some beauty shots together. Thanks again for all of the feedback guys! I'll be posting a few more shots and sheets soon.

delete1.jpg

delete2.jpg
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Outstanding work! Your skills have definitely come a long way since school. My small feedback is to make the texture around the trigger a bit more worn. Have more metal highlights on the inner curve, as if all the use from the player has worn away the paint down to the bare metal. Same with the grip under the barrel. Just try and imagine where the character's hands would be really often. "Ware away" any high points and edges more to reveal more metal. Any recessed areas, like the grooves, and any areas where the player would be grabbing the weapon (But not so frequently as to wear it down) add more dirt and grime. Also the same with the weapon handle. Try and guess where the character would be holding it the most and have a bit more metal show through, and any crevices near those areas fill with more dirt. It doesn't have to look like it fell in mud, but the extra subtleties will make your texture stand out over other who just give their weapons that base metal coat. Try and wear away the bottom and just slightly on the edges of the ammo feed as well, the metal highlights should pop. In the heat of battle, the character will probably be trying to slam the clip into the weapon, and it will probably rub off or buff anything surrounding the opening of the feed.

For my red marks, idk how you have your UVs packed so this may not be an option, but try and really darken the inside of that lower barrel (not sure if your lighting is brightening that up or not). With that 3/4 view you have right now, it just stands out as well lit inside, and there is the wearing away of that inside edge. I would suggest giving that a darker black color, to give it that "sooty" used look.

a6QQjj0.jpg?1
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Travis! One thing I decide fairly late in the texturing was that I didn't like the super worn look on this gun. So I toned down a lot of the effects that I had on it. But I'll play around with some other effects in a few days. I've been working on this gun like crazy so it may be best to give it a break for a day or two lol...

Also the lighting in the barrel is from the light. Here is another shot that better illustrates what it looks like. It's actually quite black inside the barrels =P

Color.jpg

Here are some maps

Maps.jpg