Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rachet and Clank Style Gun

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, I have this gun concept from Micheal Verdu, and I really dig the style of the gun, reminds me a lot of the guns. I saw when I was playing Rachet and Clank, so I decided that I wanted to model it, and try to nail the texturing style and also work on my high poly modeling. so here is my blockout of the gun so far, i would love to hear what you guys think so far.
9uGDnpb.jpg
aiPMxvg.jpg

Replies

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Besides proportions being off, imagine holding your gun. Would your hand fit and could you use the trigger?
    Don´t think so ; )
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for your comment ! Hey, I worked on the proportions some more, and worked on the trigger area some more. H6Uc7J7.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Hi there.

Even if we forget about perspective and distortion, the front part of the concept gun is way more tapered than yours and this stands out most, I think:

c36u63iz.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    You could stand to push the silhouette more. Ratchet weapons always have a super interesting silhouette.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I was going to mention about the perspective/silhouette but that's already been mentioned. Good start so far! Also, when you're taking pictures to post, you might want to think about taking off the grid ^_^
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thank you guys so much for your comments, I have worked on the gun some more, I was curious when you guys mean perspective do you mean the way that I present it? I understand silhouette. Anyways here are the some new images. fwZB418.jpg
    bDVKRHw.jpg
  • Filip Nica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip Nica polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good so far! The model is coming along well :) A couple of things still need a little work. But what sticks out to me the most is the curves on the back of the gun. On the concept it has a bit more shape and doesn't look as cylindrical. Hope this helps and makes some sense ^^
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the comment! I worked on the back piece some more, and I converted the nurb tubes into polygon tubes. Here is my update, I am going to start working on the high poly pieces, thanks again guys for the comments!hNuFwOe.jpgpcEc2go.jpg
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard polycounter lvl 9
    Nice progress! The silhouette is much more interesting now. Looking forward to seeing a complete version.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I know it has been a while since I have updated, I have been super sick lately with the flu, but I am better with now! And ready for an update of the high poly, I would love to hear what you guys think! And thanks for the crits as always guys!
    CovEhaD.jpg
    VY3VG3l.jpg
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's looking pretty good, however I think you really need to soften up the edges a lot more. I think (most of) your bevels are a bit too hard even for a realistic weapon, but for a more stylized game I'd smooth them a lot more.

Also I think you might want to exaggerate the width of the wires going to the bulb in the back (and the sphere in the middle). Right now it would alias terribly in a game engine, probably even in first person view.

Lastly it seems like a few of your pieces just intersect with each other without any natural intersection or hole for the pieces to fit in. This is a bit nitpicky, but it's the kind of stuff that needs to be fixed to turn a good model into a great one.
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    This is really cool so far man! I'm with Nosslak - those edges are way too tight. You also have some pinching going on near the (handgaurd?) section, and the top piece above that as well. The areas around the bolts on those pieces looks a bit sunk in as well.

Keep it up man, looking forward to the updates :D
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks , Nosslak and RitualSnergy for the great feed back, I have made the wires wider and I softened the edges of my meshes, and I have also made it where everything intersects with everything. Anyways guys I would love to hear what you think!
    8Lmb2kt.jpg
    SoCBlwL.jpg
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    this is looking good man, Looking forward to seeing this textured. Oh man, the amount of hours i put into those ratchet and clank games on ps2...
  • bryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bryan77 polycounter lvl 3
    Ratchet and Clank were one of my favorite games. This already looks nice!

One suggestion. In the concept, there are some red slits just in front of the red liquidy stuff. In your model your "slits" seem to be extrusions out.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for all the great crits guys, I have worked on the low poly, and got a bake out, and have started laying some basic materials on the mesh,I would love to hear what you guys think!
    KYrmlC1.jpg
    Cl6V3ua.jpg

he