andromedan022_quarter.jpg

*** Original Post ***

The concept:
basic_andromedan_final.jpg

Current progress:
andromedan015_quarter.jpg
andromedan015_front.jpg
andromedan015_side.jpg

I had commissioned this concept art for a miniature game, but also needed to redesign the clothing and have a high poly on hand for promo art. So while sculpting the miniature version, I'm forking off a version to turn into game art for my portfolio.

More on the concept:
Andromedans are an evil empire of fascist space eels that have sent an expeditionary army numbering in the many trillions to our Milky Way galaxy. All this is being done to prepare the way for a galactic collision 4.2 billion years in the future.

Main themes: high tech, sleek and eel-like, evil and fascist.

The old costume concept:
basic_andromedan_costume005.jpg

Replies

• KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    Looks a bit thin from the front. Otherwise looking great! Can't wait to see where this goes!
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Some process work. Please feel free to critique the process as well as the model. I'm still a noob and want to be more efficient.

Initial sculpt, a dynameshed sphere transposed and pulled out until I got this:
    andromedan002_quarter.jpg

Added feet, smoothed and trying to define some anatomy
    andromedan003a_quarter.jpg

Adjusted the porportions to be closer to concept, roughed in some head details. Still all dynamesh.
    andromedan003b_quarter.jpg

Adjusted proportions even further, thickening up thin toes.
    andromedan004_quarter.jpg

Experimenting with zpheres to add hands and fingers. Also some further refinements to proportion. Ended up having to squish a segment of torso back in on itself.
    andromedan006_quarter.jpg

Used the zphere hands and added it via dynamesh, then used zremesher since the topology around the toes and fingers were a mess, impossible to sculpt. Ended up losing detail since I chose not to project.
    andromedan008_quarter.jpg

Sculpted back in some details, including ridges on top and bottom of the torso.
    andromedan009_quarter.jpg

Adjusted pose and worked on some anatomy, trying to fix the hands and solidify the torso ridges. Changed the angle on the legs to better match concept.
    andromedan010_quarter.jpg

Adding some anatomy and posing to the fingers and toes.
    andromedan011_quarter.jpg

First subdivision, minor detailing.
    andromedan012_quarter.jpg

Further subdivisions, I think I divided this much too early. Detailing on limbs, and anatomy on legs.
    andromedan013_quarter.jpg
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    If you want to make it more intimidating, you should look at the musculature of Komodo dragons, that and other animals. This is looking really good though!
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Finally getting back to this. Going to tone down a lot of the wrinkles later with the morph target.

andromedan022_quarter.jpg
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    The proportions are looking pretty close to the concept. I'd say the hind legs might be too tapered and the fingers a bit too long. Also, I'm pretty sure the sword-like central ridge on the tail should be softened.

Otherwise it's still early to tell. It's not clear yet whether you're going stylized or realistic. I definitely like the exoskeleton on the old costume concept.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Real nice!
    Nice creature concept as well. I would thicken the back legs like the ones in the drawing because I think it adds power to the character. The tail could be pretty thick at the base where it issues from the spine and then taper. Dunno about the pouches on the tail, they look like they would hamper his movement and the weapon should be pretty integrated, maybe with an aiming module on the head.

Great work so far!
    Cheerio