Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low-poly handpainted Egyptian cafe interior - C&C request

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
Hey everyone, I've been working on this Egyptian cafe scene on and off for a few months. Would love some feedback. The modeling is mostly done except for some minor props (such as trashcans, cash register, bus trays which are currently stand-in models). I've got base textures on most but not all of the models.

The lighting is stand-in right now; I'm putting the scene together in Unity but I'm currently using Unity 4 and plan to use the improved lighting and rendering in Unity 5 for the final scene.

I'd like constructive criticism on the textures, as far as keeping the style of the different props consistent, visual appeal, variety, scale, etc. I'm handpainting all the textures going for a a bit of an exaggerated simplified look but not super cartoony. For example for the wood textures I started by painting over photos of wood, then changing and simplifying some of the shapes for aesthetic appeal, and to avoid unique bits that made tiling look obvious.

Also I'd be happy to hear it if anyone has suggestions on minimizing workload while avoiding obvious duplication. For example I have two tables and two chairs that are each duplicated to fill out the scene. I'm considering using the same base texture but creating several versions with different color adjustments and unique wear and tear. For some props I'm also sort of "cheating" to create the handpainted look by using a few base greyscale handpainted textures as an overlay on flat color textures.

Most of the models are albedo only right now, will add other maps eventually.

Other constructive feedback, critique, etc. welcome as well.

These first few images are the scene put together in Unity. I'll post a reply with some of the individual props and textures.

2015-02-22%20Unity%20shot%201.jpg

2015-02-22%20Unity%20shot%202.jpg

2015-02-22%20Unity%20shot%203.jpg

2015-02-22%20pastrycase.jpg

Replies

• SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some of the prop models with polycounts.

tea%20utensils.jpg

hookah%20mesh.jpg

couch%20mesh.jpg

loveseat%20mesh.jpg
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more props. Looking at these I'm curious for feedback on polycounts. For example some smaller props like the hookah are higher poly than the larger tables and chairs here, due to lots of curves and little detail. I don't want to lose the intricacies but want to make sure to keep the poly counts reasonably balanced among the different props.
    table%20octagonal.jpg

armchair%20base%20texture.jpg

chair%20low%20mesh.jpg

pillow%20base%20texture.jpg

round%20table%20mesh.jpg

lamps%20base%20texture.jpg
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And finally some of the textures. It was pointed out to me that on the actual floor of the cafe in the full scene, the tiled wood planks need to be much longer and they currently look more like bricks than wood planks. So I do plan to make at least that adjustment to the wood textures shown here.
    wood1%20full%20and%20tiled.jpg

wood2%20full%20and%20tiled.jpg

wood3%20full%20and%20tiled.jpg

rug1.jpg
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on this. I added some minor props and better maps for some of the models. Upgraded to Unity 5 and am working on the lighting. It may seem a little weird doing handpainted textures with physically based rendering but I think it can work. Also I'm sure someone's done it so if anyone has links to games/artists/etc I'd be happy to look at inspiration. I'm mostly defining detail in albedo and gloss maps, not using many normal maps or fine detail, except for noise patterns on fabric. And I want the metal to shine like metal. I'm happy with progress but it has a ways to go, if anyone has feedback I'll take it!
    scene_WIPa_2015-03-21_2.jpg
    scene_WIPa_2015-03-21_1.jpg
    scene_WIPc_2015-03-21.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    I'm wondering what kind of look you are going for and whether you have a clear image of that for yourself. Currently it feels to me it's a bit inbetween multiple styles. On one hand there are stylized handpainted textures (esspecially the wood floor) and on the other hand you have realisticly proportioned 3d models with quite some geometric detail. And also among the textures you have different styles, one uses gritty details from a photo (i assume) like the turquase couch, which contrasts the wood floor again.

I think you have to ask yourself, what style do you want? Gather some reference from other games/scenes with a specific style you want to go for and post it here :)
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard polycounter lvl 9
    I like how much thought and effort you put in to this scene. It is very detailed, and I take it that you frequent egyptian caf
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hupie and le0tard, yes that is something I have been thinking about. I should narrow it down.

I am not going for photorealism, I want a handpainted style, but I ended up putting in more detail in the textures than I had intended. The cloth weave on the couch is taken from a photo that I ran filters, effects, etc. on in Photoshop to soften the noise and eliminate detail. But based on your comments obviously it still stands out compared with the painterly style of the wood for example. I'm having difficulty determining how to imply cloth in a simplified painterly style. Perhaps I will try completely eliminating the noise and seeing if using flatcolor low-gloss is enough.

A few months ago I listened to a PBR podcast with guys from Marmoset and a few other companies (maybe Quixel or Allegorithmic?) in which they said (I'm paraphrasing) that PBR is useful and valid even for stylized textures. That stuck with me, and I got the idea that I wanted to do a scene with handpainted textures but realistic material separation - highly reflective metal, matte cloth, etc.

As far as realistically proportioned models - I am going to exaggerate shapes. I started with what was easy and quick, thus creating symmetrical rectangular table, chairs, etc. I am going to skew the shapes but that's icing on the cake I haven't gotten to yet. I hope it helps sell the look.

I can't think of a game offhand that I know for sure uses handpainted textures and PBR but I will look around for and post some style references even if the technical method is different than what I'm doing.

As far as frequenting Egyptian cafes......I go to Middle Eastern-owned cafes in the US moreso than probably the average US citizen, because I know people who enjoy hanging out in them. I am by no means an expert but I am doing a lot of image searching, and I just figured this would be unique compared to a lot of game art settings. Also I like the idea of game art representing the Middle East as something other than a warzone.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Hey there, I'm working on a a piece with a handpainted feel myself (most recent update here). It's been interesting to compile references for aesthetic and style, so I thought I'd share some of mine if you are looking for more inspiration. I'm not using a PBR workflow for this since I'm fairly new to 3D, and I want to start with a more traditional and easier-to-grasp diff/normal/spec workflow.

Two of my big inspirations for the look are Dishonored and Life is Strange. A strange pair, but I like aspects about both of them! There's a big thread by someone who worked on Dishonored here. I really like how stylized yet readable this game is. It obviously doesn't use PBR but its graphics are very distinctive.

I think that it'll be pretty illuminating once you get other maps on there besides albedo. Right now, everything is reading as very flat and it's hard to get a grasp of the style you're going for. One thing that helped me when I was feeling kind of lost with my piece, was I went in and did one prop up to the art direction level that I wanted - in my case, it was the chair in my scene. Then I used that as a basis for the rest of the pieces. Maybe that would help in your case!

Edit: I forgot, here are some specific references. I'm not sure if these are too cartoony but they could be a good place to start. Here's a few: 1, 2. I'm also using Dishonored/Life is Strange as style references, as I said above.
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions Carabiner. I think the graphics to Dishonored and Life is Strange are both great (based on screenshots - I haven't played either)...but they're both more detailed and realistic than I'm going for. But those last 2 links you posted have a more exaggerated style and scale than I'm going for. I don't mean to be a naysayer--if they work for you to combine, then that's great, though!

I had done one prop to finish (the octagonal table with the detailed pattern painted on the surface) but that was before the switch to PBR/Unity 5 so the spec and gloss maps no longer look right. I think you have a good suggestion though and I will keep that in mind. One issue I may be facing is that the props that have more detail make the rest look unfinished. I need to standardize the level of high/mid/low-frequency noise
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I found a bit of time to work on this and have been looking at a lot of handpainted reference. Didn't keep track of it all but here is some.
    This guy's stuff is great and inspirational. I'm going for a bit more detail/realism though:
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/tobiaskoepp
    Also looked at some video/images from Sly Cooper Thieves in time but again I'm going for a bit more realism, not quite as saturated colors:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcURHjvsRwI[/ame]
    http://blazekick.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-2.jpg
    http://www.jeuxcapt.com/upload/module_images/1345035732_sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-playstation-3-ps3-1345015268-067.jpg
    More along the lines of what I'm going for. Obviously handpainted and stylized but not *super* simplified:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4b/8b/42/4b8b4206c5b3b59f7a5484f0bbbc4d11.jpg
    Also this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132866

So I re-did the wooden chair as a style proof of concept. Made the shape more exaggerated and actually painted in planks. Very basic 3-point light setup in Unity 5, only keylight is shadowcasting, ambient at default setting, albedo, spec, glos, and AO. C&C welcome.
    chairLow_redo_2015-04-19.jpg