Home Technical Talk

trying to make a seamless texture in zbrush....but getting seams :( pls help

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Kiyamlol polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone,

I have been following the eat3d seamless texture tutorial that is here

youtube.com/watch?v=jHuprKbYW08

i followed his instructions to grap the height map, however even when i frame it to screen and move it with the tilde key, i get this ugly grey gaps:

O2CyVO9.jpg

so i thought maybe it was normal even though in his tutoriakl he had no such gap.

Send it to photoshop and i fix the seams, everything seams okay so far:

ezpZDnB.jpg

bring it back into photoshop and displace a new mesh with the new height map and now I still get a seam....>_<

NtarLHs.jpg

anyone know how to solve this? I really want to be able to make projected tileable textures as it is a skill that I am really lacking right now....

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I was going to say to make sure you BPR when extracting maps from 2.5d to clear up seams, but that looks like an actual gap in your geometry.

I don't have the time ATM to watch that video, but i'm going to throw some suggestions at you see if they help.
    It could be something when you are subdividing the mesh, try subdividing with smoothing turned off, that should preserve your boarders.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Also haven't seen the tut but, as Fwap said, the problem seems to be that the geometry ends where your texture should tile. If the borders are changed, you'll most likely end up with these gaps.

I'd suggest extending the geometry across the borders and then sculpting inside a designated area using WrapMode:

pSRdAtH.jpg