Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekend speed environment.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Fingus polycounter lvl 11
During my job hunt I got the feedback that I should have more environment art in my portfolio, so I put this together quickly over the weekend. It served not only as a quick lil portfolio piece but also as a good practice for modular design and speed modeling.

Everything was done with 19 modular pieces, using a single set of textures (albedo, normal, spec/gloss).

Built and rendered in Unity 4.

factory_12.PNG?format=1000w
factory_05.PNG?format=1000w
factory_06.PNG?format=1000w
factory_08.PNG?format=1000w
factory_11.PNG?format=1000w
modular_pieces.PNG?format=1000w
texture_flats.png?format=1000w

Replies

• dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    It looks quite qood for unity. Does it use PBR shader?
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice work!
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    BeserK wrote: »
    Really nice work!

Thank you! Pretty pleased with how it turned out considering the short amount of time spent on it. It's got some issues I'm considering going back and changing. The nice thing about something modular like this is that it's very easy to alter and expand.
    dzibarik wrote: »
    It looks quite qood for unity. Does it use PBR shader?

I lit it using Marmoset Skyshop, and their shaders are PBR-esque. No metalness or anything, but it still employs things like energy conserving specular and reflection fresnel.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Damnnn look great. I never realised you could make such as a complex environment with such a small number of props.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome scene Sindre, I really hope you manage to get something soon.
  • Montreseur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Montreseur polycounter lvl 6
    Great use of Modular design, and just great texturing and lighting all around.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Pretty sweet, especially for a weekend project!

If you're going to take it further I'd recommend creating some sort of focal point by either lighting, a specific repetition in a key area, or maybe a little unique set piece model that fits into the current style.

I dunno if it's just me but I feel like it might be a little bit too uniformly busy, maybe you can think about using some decals/opacity masked textures that can help combat the repetitive nature of modular parts.

Lighting wise everything seems currently around the same value minus a few shadows from your directional light, so maybe you can fiddle around with creating a difference in values depending on the section. I'm currently guessing it's supposed to be outdoors judging from the directions of the shadows, in that case maybe some outside light models such as emergency lights/hanging worker lights/lamp posts/etc. might help. Not necessarily lit in the areas where the sun is bright, but maybe in one of the darker areas underneath a platform or an area that's a bit more enclosed which wouldn't receive as much light. If it's indoors you could probably go even crazier with how it's lit since you won't have the sun to deal with.

But yeah all those are pretty subject to whatever you're going for, just my 2 cents!

Keep it up :D