Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Recreation of Marcin Winkowski's visions

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Most recent update:
Z5Ib3Vy.jpg

This is a recreation - call it fan art - of Marcin's drone (for first, ill update this post later) that he used in his environment a few years ago. His environment and the style of it took a big impression to me, I saw it when he showed it first here, and I thought its one of the smartest and most spectacular creation from an individual artist that I ever saw. A few days ago I met with him on facebook, I told him these, and I asked him about would he mind if I would make a some fan art from his "environment_1", and he said do it, so I started doing :D

So here is the first piece, the drone, in a lot higher res. Its not done yet, its just the lp, with baked normalmap, ao, and a base of the albedo map. The mesh is 25k triangles. I know, its 5x of his version, but I wanted to make it look next gen, and I wanted to hide angularity as much as possible, even from a close view. Hopefully next time I will be able to show some texturing work too, but I don't know yet when I will have enough free time. Okay, enough talk, here is the model(in TB2).
WBCJ4mj.jpg

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the textured version. I think I'll continue with the tower like building, and now I have imaginations about what will be from this. A diorama again.
    Z5Ib3Vy.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump...Feedback would be great :D
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Neat design. I think you need to take alook at your material definition before you so more detail texturing. It feels like its all the exact same powder coated metal material - I can see there's a layer of grime in the texture, but its so soft and nonspecific that it doesn't bring anything.

The bake looks good, very solid. The function of everything below the rotors is completely vauge at the moment - I think nailing materials will be a big step forward.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the feedback, you are right about the materials, I'm just not really sure where to go from here with the texturing. Maybe some rust, oil, scratches, also some color variation on the plates, and maybe a few more decals. I can't put too much specific detail into a few part's textures, cause I have the top and bottom dome uv'd overlapping in the uvmap, and the "eyeballs" too. I don't want visible repeating.
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Hey man, great work here. I'm with fearian on nailing the materials, especially the obvious metal bits. Reference some images for the types of metals your going for. There is usually some cool color variety going on in the spec, especially on older/used metal. Though, you can really help bring all of that out with solid lighting. Right now the lighting is semi-flat and muted. Hope some of that helps! GL :D