Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

University Art Test Project (Feedback)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
IllusivePixel polycounter lvl 4
Hey there guys, I don't post here a lot since I don't have much to show yet, but I'm doing an industry art test as part of my BA5 project for university, and I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

I've been doing modeling for a while but baking is still a fairly new process to me, so the normals aren't great. I only have 1 more week to work on it and was wondering what I could improve on?

Sketchfab file as well as some renders :)

Thank you!

[SKETCHFAB]bff599b5880a4de0a9f6a5551e5fac19#share[/SKETCHFAB]

To4xt3P.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    The modeling and normal maps look solid. Now... the paint and wear, it's a bit unrealistic and over the top. When it comes to wear and tear you really need to think about how and why the damage happened.

Also, try considering subtly incorporating from subtle normals for the paint and wear overlaid over the baked normals.
  • IllusivePixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP wrote: »
    The modeling and normal maps look solid. Now... the paint and wear, it's a bit unrealistic and over the top. When it comes to wear and tear you really need to think about how and why the damage happened.

Also, try considering subtly incorporating from subtle normals for the paint and wear overlaid over the baked normals.

I did think of adding normals for the wear and tear, but like you said, it's quite unrealistic, so when it comes to texturing I find it difficult to be subtle, I need to learn :P But I hear a lot of no-no's when it comes to doing normals from photo textures, and there's so many methods of doing things I end up a little confused.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Its too random, if you look at pictures of anything worn it will be on areas typically exposed
  • IllusivePixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been finding it quite difficult to convey worn paint to be honest, It always comes out too random. But it does make sense that it'd be more worn wherever it's most exposed, so I'll take that into account :)