Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I Need Your Help

NilbogEvoli
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
NilbogEvoli polycounter lvl 5
I know I don't post on this site much but I need help. I am a Graduate of Ohio University and am having a difficult time finding a job. I graduated back in December of 2013. I was wondering if the good people on this forum could help me to evaluate my portfolio and see how i can approve to get a job in the game industry.

My portfolio is at http://www.danieltlouis.com/

Here's a couple questions I had:

Does my Portfolio show a level of skill good enough to get a job?

Is the fact that I live is Ohio killing my chances?

What should I cut and what should I leave in my portfolio?

Should I have it separated like i do for the 2d and 3d sections?

Thank you for any help you can give me and taking time to respond.

-Daniel Louis

Replies

• Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there, the first thing I noticed in your gallery is that nothing is finished! Your 3D art is composed of unfinished models with no texture work and your 2D art section seems to be composed of studies. This won't do, employers want to see some strong pieces of work not unfinished sketches here and there. Second of all your focus is all over the place. Now most people will suggest not going down 2D and 3D which is true if you are not up to standard with both. Pick a subject and stick to it.

It's also quite a scroll down to the bottom. I'd think it would benefit you to condense your 3D work into topics so that they are easily viewable without the long scroll. That's what I'd suggest just at a quick glance of the surface. If you want to be a character artist you need to do some serious studying of anatomy and get some finished models into your gallery!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I am going to ask you some questions first, and then I will give you some more advice back.

Do YOU think your portfolio is good enough to get a job? Have you done research of other JR artists who have jobs, or are looking for jobs and compared your portfolio to theirs?

How much work have you done since you graduated 2 years ago?

What do you want to do in the industry? Characters, environments, and/or props modeling? and what kind of games do you want to work on, ie mobile, AAA, realistic, stylized, ect.
  • NilbogEvoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NilbogEvoli polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you guys for the advise I will refocus on more environment art and hope it doesn't take to long to get a better looking portfolio.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Stop using the redwax matcap to sculpt, let alone for presentation renders. It's really inaccurate as it highlights pinches as well as cavities, and so you loose the overall form. I sculpt in basic grey materials, a fan favorite presentation matcap is matcapGrey (on phone, can't check the name of it but it's pretty self-explanitory).
    +1 to everyone else. Oh, and really think about BARDLERs questions. It will not be easy to get your portfolio up to scratch, and chances are it will be a long road, too.