Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Pirate

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
So I have been working on this stylized pirate character for a while now and I think I am Finally done textureing it. Let me know what you think of it please.

16150064252_9af9acf646_o.png
16124601636_b48e6306ec_o.png
15530654843_4928217153_o.png
15964369309_08ca06e3a9_o.png
15962969988_41ab60370c_o.png
15528518174_8ff40a3693_b.jpg

Replies

• Solmas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solmas polycounter lvl 4
    So I'm definitely not a character artist or any good judge of anatomy, but I would revisit the facial anatomy. The bone structure seems exaggerated to the point of almost being alien, especially in the lighting you have.

If you'd rather focus on pushing the character further then I'd suggest adding some detail to his clothing. Patches, rips, tears, stitching, sunbleaching, water damage, some trim to his coat sleeves, some blood on his collar -- he's very generic for now, especially for a stylized character and even more especially if he's supposed to be a main character.

I hope that helps!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm a character artist!

/butts in

Excuse me sir, I'm a professional! I CAN DO IT!

/trips over foot

/gets back up

/brushes off jacket

Ahem, yeah you gotta revist that facial anatomy, there are weird landmarks ocurring where they should not be. Can you post what your sculpt looks like.

Also, what are you rendering in? I think we can really improve the skin if you have a skin shader to work with.

Your material definition definitely needs work. I recommend downloading the donated free character assets from the 3D giveaway, and observe how they got their roughness and metalness maps done to really defin the leather, metals, etc.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Solmas I will try to add more to him thank you

@JadeEyePanda
    Yep here is an older version of the sculpt. the face should all be the same except for the ears. (I would render out the current high poly and upload it but I am away from my desktop)
    15472201522_f3e75db956_b.jpg
    15463050005_bebff52c4b_b.jpg

Im rendering in marmoset toolbag 2 And I will give them a look, thank you.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You generally don't want your AO being pure white and black. Try shifting the colors so the shadows in the face are warm, cool in the clothes, etc.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    You generally don't want your AO being pure white and black. Try shifting the colors so the shadows in the face are warm, cool in the clothes, etc.

I don't think I understand.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you bake out your AO map, areas where there is shadow (eg. It gets darker), it should colored, not just greyscale.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I'm no character artist / artist, but what's the poly difference between the high and low versions? Sometimes trying to bake sharp angles / features becomes more time consuming than just having the higher poly version, minus a few things.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I found a more recent version of the Highpoly. Its about 24 mil (i know overkill).

16159393192_2b9769d430_o.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a very directed question, but hopefully it elucidates what I'm trying to get at.

Can you mark on the sculpt where you think the anchor points are for your clothing folds? Can you post that image here?

Also, can you circle where you think his clothing bunches up, meets resistance, etc.?
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    Planes of the Head - It gets posted a lot but it really does help, use this to help build your forms, even better have a go at sculpting the head.

It will give you a better idea of how the forms are meant to flow between each other. At the moment areas that connect the mouth to the cheek and the eyes need a lot of attention.

asaro_head_sculpt___model_download_by_adam_fisher-d5mlsit.jpg

1390037480497.jpg