Home General Discussion

North Korea responsible for Sony Pictures hack... The age of cyber warfare has begun

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watched The Interview last night (otherwise the terrorists win!), it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If you're familiar with Seth Rogan/James Franco bromnace comedies, you'll get a few laughs out of it. Not as good as Pineapple Express, but again, not nearly as bad as expected.

Of course, if you expect some sort of documentary style high brow critique of the North Korean situation out of this movie, you're likely to be disappointed.

Yes, there are a lot of juvenile jokes in this movie, if thats not your thing, I would pass. But I mean really, this should have been clear from watching the trailer.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed wrote: »
    Honestly the "The Interview" crosses a line, it belittles an entire nation and its leader. I don't think it's politically correct. If I was NK I would feel highly insulted. This movie is just uncalled for.

Ahh I see what your issue is. You're offended by the movie for the sake of being offended. The worst possible thing these days, that someone somewhere might find it offensive, how inappropriate! A nobel prize winner summed it up best:

"Or even worse, imagine if producers and distributors and others start engaging in self-censorship because they don't want to offend the sensibilities of someone whose sensibilities probably need to be offended." - President Obama

I wonder if you think that Inglourious Basterds shouldn't have been made, because some germans might be offended?
    Honestly find me one person who has won a Nobel Prize mention that they have highly enjoyed or thought highly of the movie the “the interview”, and I will retract all my negative comments and give this movie 10/10 across the web, and never comment on anything on Polycount ever again unless it’s my own thread or for specific help. No more general discussion for me.

Really, if these are the metrics by which you rate lowest-common-denominator buddy comedies, I can see why you're disappointed.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Honestly the "The Interview" crosses a line, it belittles an entire nation and its leader. I don't think it's politically correct. If I was NK I would feel highly insulted. This movie is just uncalled for.

Their leader is pretty good at making a clown out of himself. He doesn't need help of a few Canadians for that. Just listen to that ridiculous propaganda coming out of that country. The only reason nobody is laughing is because this sad little clown actually does hold the lives of a few million of people in his hands.

I found the depiction of North Korea pretty tame. If anything, the movie made fun of one guy, who happens to be the self appointed leader of the people he oppresses.
    If they really wanted to make fun of the North Koreans then they missed many, many chances, where reality is just much more weird! There is indoctrination everywhere. If you stay in the hotels they do have huge Kim pictures. In the Yanggakdo there's even a info panel about the dear leader and his nuclear rocket program. There's military everywhere and on TV. The TV is all about military and the war. Even Karaoke is military themed. People do revere him as quasi god. There's a huge museum/mausoleum in Pyongyang, the size of a small airport, just to honor old Kim. There's guards with chromed AK47s guarding a glass coffin of the dear leader, to which you have to bow 4 times. There's also a wax figure, which is so life-like, you gotta bow to that too, and you notice how damn serious the North Koreans take this (or have to!) The real place is much more bizarre and weird than this movie makes it look. Same problem with Cohen's Dictator. The real Gadaffi was so bizarre, there was little Cohen could do to outdo the real man. After all, the guy really had a bodyguard of sexy chicks and demanded to live in a tent in the middle of Rome on a state visit!

If you really can blame the film, then blame it for not being more tasteful and thoughtful, like Chaplin's Great Dictator.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    , probably an inside hacking job for god knows whatever reason, Just another conspiracy like when the USA business men were selling American Weapons to foreign terrorist to kill American soldiers, good profits there.

You lost any validation of having an intelligent arguement right there.

Was the movie crap? Yes. Thats all that is needed to say. The reason I watched it was just to give the finger to hackers.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Oh OK, as long as you state it as a fact.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/14/sarkis-soghanalian-obituary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarkis_Soghanalian

"I never sold arms to anybody on the left," he claimed in 2000 –

"The Americans knew what I was doing, every minute, every hour," he claimed on US TV in

Obviously you need to take into account of the events and things that happen around him to conclude whether or not what he says is legit. Seeing as the US isn't going to admit anything.

I was referencing the first part, and you know it. I was going to edit it out, but figured you would have known better.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    lol ,
    first , we need to recap what what it has been discussed from page one,
    probably let sony ceo explain it himself. instead of listening to obama. or press who loved to put bombastic headline ...
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJRzVuhnxk[/ame]

we gamer even suffer much more often from frequent almost annual hack ,
    this is what happen recently on psn and xbox live
    http://kotaku.com/hackers-explain-why-they-supposedly-took-down-psn-and-x-1675448709
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Honestly find me one person who has won a Nobel Prize mention that they have highly enjoyed or thought highly of the movie the “the interview”, and I will retract all my negative comments and give this movie 10/10 across the web,

Holy extreme polarization, Batman. It's an average movie, the reviews say as much and I doubt it was ever intended to be anything other than that. That's how comedy works, some people laugh and other people get pissy and offended. If you can find a person capable of making every single person laugh at every thing they do, you'd be looking at the world's richest person (and I can tell you now that person would be a comedian, not a noble prize winner as they don't have a field in funny). It doesn't need a 10/10 to be enjoyable by adults and people with the intelligence you feel should have been insulted. The world doesn't need to be politically correct, and some leaders and nations need to be able to laugh at themselves every now and then (like like Marshall was able to, or the US presidents during a White House Correspondents' Association Dinner). If people had their heads out of their arses then maybe they'd be able to appreciate a fart joke or two, and the world would likely be better off for it.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amid all the noise the Sony hack generated over the holidays, a far more troubling cyber attack was largely lost in the chaos. Unless you follow security news closely, you likely missed it.
    Another possible attack on an industrial site using "social engineering" aka bullshitting until someone gave them access to the network. I also doubt they knew exactly what they were doing. Probably they were just fiddling around with some controls remotely and ended up causing a lot of damage. Interesting...

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/german-steel-mill-hack-destruction/
    This is only the second confirmed case in which a wholly digital attack caused physical destruction of equipment. The first case, of course, was Stuxnet, the sophisticated digital weapon the U.S. and Israel launched against control systems in Iran in late 2007 or early 2008 to sabotage centrifuges at a uranium enrichment plant.
    “Failures accumulated in individual control components or entire systems,” the report notes. As a result, the plant was “unable to shut down a blast furnace in a regulated manner” which resulted in “massive damage to the system.”
    According to the report, the attackers appeared to possess advanced knowledge of industrial control systems.
    “The know-how of the attacker was very pronounced not only in conventional IT security but extended to detailed knowledge of applied industrial controls and production processes,” the report says.