Home Technical Talk

Exporting UVs out of modo

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I have some meshes I'm trying to export from modo to maya but cannot seem to get them to export with their UVs intact. If I export to obj I get no UVs and if I use fbx I get skewed UVs. Below are my modo UVs and my maya UVs. I don't see option-boxes when exporting so I'm not sure what else to test but could sure use a hand with this problem.

mmbcVkz.jpg
xVutmFf.jpg

The weird thing is, I was able to get some other files to export properly (tables and chairs) but not these bookcases. Really scratching my head on this one.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Do you have only the one UV channel? Any other odd vertex maps showing up?

Do a simple test with a new scene / cube and export that to maya and see if it works. Export settings are under System>Preferences>FileIO

It looks like the uvs are intact but vertex order or something is messed up. Are you sure this isn't a maya import issue?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're getting no UVs from OBJ format, it suggests that some polygons have no UV coordinates. With OBJ, UVs are all or nothing.

That might explain the strange UVs you've got there via FBX.

There is an issue with FBX UVs that I've bugged and should be fixed in SP3... but it results in too many UV splits, rather than too few.
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    I've run into weirdness with this a few times. Make sure to run your mesh cleanup, and have clean uv's throughout your mesh. Also, try exporting an fbx with your UVs named with default 'Texture'. If that doesn't work, i'd try an export with your uv's named 'map1' since Maya looks for that. That used to be an issue with older versions of modo, but think they've fixed since 801
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Appreciate the help guys! I ran a mesh cleanup (hadn't done one in too long), changed the UV set to "map1" and all this talk genwu's talk about cleanup made me think the mesh might could use a quick quadruple. I don't see a change but regardless, fbx is working just fine now. obj is still acting up but as long as I have something working, I have no complaints.

I don't know what fixed it, maybe a combination of everything, but thanks for the help everyone.
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Glad you got it sorted. I work between modo and maya pretty frequently, and have pretty much abandoned .obj as an export format. I've only ever had issues with it. .fbx is infinitely better than it used to be with previous versions of modo