Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Huangshan Mountains UE4

Replies

• Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

Yeah some foliage with some red components would really help, I'll do some resarch on that and see if I find something I like :)

Yes some variation is still needed, I'm struggling a little to get it right at the moment since 4.7 the foliage is considered to be one actor and therefore have only one position so tinting it per instance is a no go, I have added a top projected color pattern but I'm not really getting the results I want with it yet, will keep working on that :)

Yeah I think I'm going to add some flatter areas in detail with som vertexpaint, should be pretty easy to setup in my current cliff shader!

Here are some updates as well, I realized most of my texture values where quite off when it comes to pbr so I cloned up the map and re-worked it a little so its more correct, mostly base color brightness and specular tweaks.

I think it got a bit better results when it comes to the lighting of the scene.

I get some of those annoying shadow cascade artifacts at some places, I can fix them but then I loose all my shadows in the distance making the whole world fall flat instead :/

WIP01.png

WIP02.png

WIP03.png

WIP04.png

WIP05.png

WIP06.png

WIP07.png

WIP08.png
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking awesome! Your assets and scene are great man, but there is a lot you could do to add drama, visual interest, artistic flair...'wow factor', y'know?

ideas;
    • Wish there was more clouds in the sky
    • Wish there was more ambient life..dust motes, butterflies or dragonflies, stuff like that...
    • Stuff to breakup the fog...like subtle horizontal fog planes, or clouds that go between the mountains. (Effects Cave demo has examples)
    • Fake light beams from the sky would add drama and guide the eye (Effects Cave has examples)
    • You added color variation to the trees but it's hard to notice? Especially for the farther away trees, I would try pushing it farther to breakup the colors/values.
    • The scale of your trees seems uniform...wish you could just grab a few and really push them bigger or smaller, just to add variation and break things up.
    • Your horizon in the background...it's fairly flat. You said you added fake mountains/cards back there? Could you use those to break up the horizon line, vertically?
    • Lighting; It's realistic but not so dramatic or focused. What about adding a fake rimlight to that left-of-center mountain or something?
    • Lighting; Pop out some edges, try to get variation to the lighting, do some soft bounce lights to the shadowed areas, etc...just to add drama and visual interest.
    • Personal nitpick, I find those blue flowers a bit too neon-blue, wish they were less saturated.
    • Another little idea, what about some small puddles in the foreground? just more simple ideas to break things up...

Also a little tidbit - I know someone just brought up the samey-ness of the rock scales. A friend tipped me off to Iwagumi - the art of aquarium rock & plant placement. There is natural, and then there is beautiful - and there is a difference. I found it was really insightful thing to study...
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great points!

A lot of these are next up on my to-do list, I will take the first VFX pass this weekend. It will take me some time as I'm not an experienced VFX artist at all ^^

I will revisit the small rocks sculpt as well, they don't hold up at the moment, get some more shapes in there and maybe add some varieties and do a better placement to add more interest.

Yeah those flowers are NOT behaving correctly :D I will fix!

Cool link, I'll give it a read :)
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a lot of progress in this update, working with effects is really slow since don't have much experience in it.. but I'm sharing anyway ^^

I added some prototype mist and god rays ( all very WIP ) and tuned the lighting a little, places some point lights in some areas and so on.

I'm going to try to make on big final push soon once I have some spare time, I really need to finish this now since energy for this projects is dropping a bit and I'm having some other ideas and thinking of joining the latest contest ^^

WIP01.png

WIP02.png

WIP03.png

WIP04.png

WIP05.png

WIP06.png

WIP07.png
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got some clouds going, still WIP : ]

HuangshanCloudsWIP.png
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    Oh man this is amazing. Those clouds definitely add a lot to the scene I think.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah they help bring it all together a bit more
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update,

I started toying around with the idea of something red in the scene to break of all the green. Its very WIP but it might work.

Started adding some more clouds and some simple ambient effects( also very WIP )

Next up is to try to do some birds to give it some more life : ]

WIP_01.png

WIP_02.png

WIP_03.png

WIP_04.png

WIP_05.png

WIP_06.png

WIP_07.png

WIP_08.png

WIP_09.png
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a draft for the video I'm making : ]

I'm having some issues with flickering shadows, anyone have any ideas? I'll look into it some more before making the final version

I will go and fix some of the backdrop placement so it looks a bit better as well

Hopefully I'll be done with this project by tomorrow which is pretty nice since I really feel like moving on to something else : ]

colors got a bit borked during compression but its not much that can be done about it :/

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5Azf2h5wM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5Azf2h5wM[/ame]
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Dat bird animation..
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm going to render out a new sprite sheet for it, its pretty WIP
  • PolyDjent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyDjent polycounter lvl 5
    Fantastic scene! You, Sir, are awesome! Could you please give any tips on creating a foliage shader like yours which is the best iv seen in ue4 so far;)
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Looking really superb. Theres not much I can look at it and say other than it all looks great. My only real concern would be the clouds and lighting. It's not exactly super dramatic at the moment and I feel as if the color and lighting for the presentation of the scene as a whole could be pushed further. For example, the background from this scene in Princess Mononoke could be interesting route you could take:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33400000/mononoke-princess-mononoke-33435621-1530-800.jpg

You could make the lighting a bit more orange and vibrant, take down the sun a notch (in position), and create some clouds around as if its dawn and the sun is breaking through the clouds. Then you could make the fog a bit darker/little bit more blue, which would help out the color. All of this would look especially great at the scene you have at 0:38 seconds in the above video. Keep in mind it still looks great now - I just think you could push it just a little bit more to get very vibrant and dramatic! :)

And like Maydream3d said, can we get some tips on how you made your foliage shaders? They look fantastic!
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! I tried to implement some of it in the new movie :)

I'm actually pretty happy with this so I'm going to call it done for now and render out the final one with the correct splash screen and start take some screenshots!

Yes, I will make a breakdown of the scene and share some of the shader stuff as well :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8MILwkXMU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8MILwkXMU[/ame]
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    The main thing that just screams out to me to fix is the clumpy grass. I'm not at my PC now, by I could easily paint outlines in Photoshop around each separate mesh. The grass is the one thing killing the foreground for me. I shouldn't be able to pick out individual meshes: it should seem like a natural flow of growth.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can probably take a pass at the grass mesh before doing the final render :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks awesome!

You should do a 60 fps video, slow panning shots at 30 fps always look choppy to me :\
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here it is :]

Time to kick back for a few days before its time for another adventure!

Yeah I can try rendering a 60 fps version too!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm2ya6vHelI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm2ya6vHelI[/ame]

Huangshan_01.png

Huangshan_02.png

Huangshan_07.png

Huangshan_03.png

Huangshan_04.png

Huangshan_05.png

Huangshan_06.png

Huangshan_08.png

Huangshan_09.png
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looking great dude. I hope I can have vegetation like this by in the next month or two :D

For your video, the ONLY thing I think you need to address is that the first 40 or so seconds aren't incredibly interesting.

When I say that, I don't mean it's bad, it looks great; however, the money shot, like the part where I went "holy shitttt" was around 50 seconds and that part when the camera first goes off the cliff. Consider pushing that 50 second mark to around 20 seconds into the video.

If you check youtube stats/website stats, it seems that a user usually spends between 0-30 seconds, with the numbers trailing off a lot by the 1+ minute mark. Since the money shot is so close to the 1 minute mark, you may be risking a decent number of viewers not seeing it because we all just want media NOWWWW.

Hope that made sense.

Still, loooks beautiful!

Edit: Same thing for the list of screens you posted. It sounds incredibly dumb, but the best best image shouldn't be at the bottom of the list, it should be the first image! I realize it's WIP and all but it's something to consider when you post this on the folio!
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Yeah I does make sense! I was just trying to do a bit of build-up to to the actual "reveal" and time the soundtrack when it gets some extra depth to it. Maybe its not the best way of doing it since it might gamble a little on peoples attention span but I think I will leave it as it is for the time being :) Great point though!

Yeah I need to figure out the proper order to present these in so its interesting enough to look through

I bumped up one of the overview shots so its higher up for now
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Fozwroth wrote: »
    Yeah I does make sense! I was just trying to do a bit of build-up to to the actual "reveal" and time the soundtrack when it gets some extra depth to it. Maybe its not the best way of doing it since it might gamble a little on peoples attention span but I think I will leave it as it is for the time being :) Great point though!

Yep, no problem. I had a similar approach with my last environment with building up the viewer, but found that it was a bit better to just give the viewer what they wanted early on instead :/

Although, this scene is pretty impressive all around so I don't think you should have trouble holding attention for that long!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Wow this is a beautiful scene man. Very atmospheric. Really great job.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Stunning work. With the slight tweaks suggested by others implemented, it will be that little bit more awesome.

Edit: Also, would love some breakdowns on this when you have the time :D
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Man this turned out amazing, awesome work!
    Those clouds really so much to it as well as the great lighting does!

Would you by any chance be willing to share your process for those needles in the foreground of the last shot? They look pretty mind blowing!
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Latest pictures are beautiful! Hit it right on the money man, fantastic work.
  • PolyDjent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asdfdsafwerf sdafsfasd... sorry. That was my jaw hitting the keyboard. This is godlike! Hope to see the breakdown asap!
  • WindchILL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
    noob here. how did you manage to complete such a massive environment like this by yourself? did you make everything or did you use premade assets? also how long did this take?
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all! I'm happy you like it! It Made my morning :)

I will start working on some breakdowns during the week!

Well its a lot of copy paste and utilizing Unreals vegetation painting tools to place all the foliage around the main area, modular cliffs so I could build larger cliff formations quickly which helped a lot during the whiteboxing.

I made all the assets in the scene :)

It took aprox 4 months working after work in the evenings and during weekends
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Glad to see you finished this, it turned out really nice :)
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah it feels great to finally be done :)
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    It's awesome Fozwroth, congrats!! I'm eagerly awaiting those breakdowns. If you could post some wireframes of those trees and scene I think a lot of people would learn fom you <3
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Reference folder >>> Activated <<<

;)
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah I will start looking into the breakdowns during the weekend :)
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! So I finally got around to break some of the assets down :)

I tried to be as informative and light as possible, I hope someone finds it helpful at least :) If anything isn't clear,or just badly explained in my silly pictures, feel free to ask!

For those who were expecting high class sculpts and cool new ways of doing things are probably going to be a bit disappointed, its all pretty straight forward really

Anyway here it goes!

Some basic sculpts that were then combined with different maps, just using some simple lerps in a shader and vertex colors, nothing fancy.

And some of the vegetation highpoly meshes I used to get normal and diffuse maps from, the leaves are just modeled after images and then have a leaf texture applied that is then baked down onto the final texture.

I made use of Mayas paint effects tool to paint out the branches with my Wacom( no leaves just the branch) And then mapped some bark textures to them. The UVs from paint effects tool are really handy and perfectly lined out for you. Then I just placed some leaves or clusters/smaller branches of leaves to dress them.

Breakdown_CliffSculpt.png

Breakdown_RockSculpt.png

Breakdown_BilberryHighpoly.png

Breakdown_GrassBladesHighpoly.png

Breakdown_PineBranchHighpoly.png

Breakdown_TilableSculpts.png
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some assets for the scene showed with wireframes and the vertex color setup:

Breakdown_TreeSproutAsset.png

Breakdown_BackdropTreeAsset.png

Breakdown_PineTreeAsset_01.png

Breakdown_PineTreeAsset_02.png

Breakdown_VertexColorSetup.png
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shader breakdown for grass, tree trunks and tree/ bush foliage as well as a texture setup walktrough. I made heavy use of material instances so I could tweak such things as Color, Normal-strength, Translucency and wind per asset type.

The foliage shaders use these settings in the root node:

Subsurface,Masked,Twosided Foliage and two-sided

I have an external multiplier hooked up to my SRT maps since I find it more efficient to be able to tweak those on the fly rather than redoing maps for separate assets or just to do general tweaking.

Breakdown_TreeShader.png

Breakdown_TrunkShader.png

Breakdown_GrassShader.png

Breakdown_GrassWindShader.png

Breakdown_TextureSetup_01.png

Breakdown_TextureSetup_02.png

Breakdown_TextureSamples.png
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice progress! The last one with the sun is incredible.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the material break down! Helps alot and is awesome to see your process.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem! Glad you found it useful :)
  • Higuy
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice, thanks for the breakdown. Grats on the kotaku article!
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah I saw that! I did NOT expect that ^^
  • PolyDjent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cant find the words to express how grateful i am for this breakdown! cant wait to try ur techniques out! I got a question though. What about ur light setup? Is it all static lighting? Did u use skylight or some hdri?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you got featured on german gamestar here
    http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermischtes/3082585/unreal_engine_4.html

Still i feel that it dosnt pop. something with the colors dosnt feel right
    the models and the composition are nice but the colors are too uniform and feel kind of bland, its missing contrast in color and saturation which would really push that environment

In unreal 3 you could make nice color variation by using world offset (?) and a simple blurry color map, giving plants on varied places slightly another hue, making vegetation a lot more vivid, playing with LUTs and DOF could be nice too, but LUTs dont help if the base texture colors are the same

edit: did a quick try, one with a curve and gradient to get a brighter background, and one photoshop default LUT with a blue tone (no color variation for plants done tho)
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Fozwroth wrote: »
    Some assets for the scene showed with wireframes and the vertex color setup:

Breakdown_TreeSproutAsset.png
    wow that is individual leaves
    so I assume this is supossed to be "lowpoly" asset for close up plant ?

btw congrats for the feature, pretty good looking, and I learned a lot, from your progress.

only crit probably the grass still seem too planar and repetitive,and low poly rock in close up area. but otherwise its a stellar works. !!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's less overdraw and better performance when vegetation and leaves are modeled to have the least amount of masked out areas as possible.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    This is fantastic work with a really comprehensive breakdown!

I have a few questions regarding how you did the smaller pine tree branches. It looks like you just placed a few of the smaller end branches on the ends of the larger branch, so is this the same way you would approach a fir tree too? Also when your creating the branches for baking, how do you balance the density of the leaves on the branches with the overall density of leaves for the whole tree?

Thanks again this is really inspiring stuff!
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Made it on Kotaku! Nice man!

http://kotaku.com/move-over-far-cry-4-this-is-how-you-do-mountains-1683447219

edit: looks like I'm late on this. either way, congrats!