Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female face critique please

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, i've been sculpting a female face and it's still on early stages but i feel it just doesn't look good or too feminine.Before doing this i started practicing anatomy: skull and proportions for some time and I've been using a lot of reference and keep refining but i can't seem to make it right. Here are the pictures, i would like to have some feedback to make it better.

Thanks a lot for your time.

f2_zpsf2055935.jpg

f1_zps2c6c72a8.jpg

f3_zps200d9351.jpg

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The ear is looking very flat, remember it sticks out from the head. The other features ,(eyelids, nose, lips) are a little flatly sculpted on too, keep working the forms, keep checking reference. You could probably stand to go down a subD or two to make some major changes to the structure.

She has the neck of a linebacker, it would help with the femininity a lot of you fix the proportions there.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I'm no character modeler, but you're focusing way to much on the details atm. The structure currently is horribly lacking. (sorry). You need to spend time on your proportions, don't worry about details. Get the silhouettes right first. Work on something very blocky, understand the lines/curves/anatomy of the face before you attempt to sculpt.

Try and make something like this.
    66446959.jpg

Then graduate to this:
    head_planes.jpg
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i am working on it. Be as harsh as you need to be no need to sorry, thanks a lot i'll update as soon as i can.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are the last updates, i still having a hard time with the lips and the eyes :/ I can see the change now but still i don't see it too accurate even if its blocky.

f4_zps83d79c4b.jpg

f5_zps03cd9c42.jpg

f6_zps3b655dad.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You are working at too high a resolution. Drop the point count until you can almost count the polys. Focus on getting this nailed down and not the second image.
    In fact, here's more than just the front on, too.
    1395670599047.jpg
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bagel, i will drop it more then and get the planes right.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update, those planes really help, still have some trouble but i don't know if this is better than before:

f9_zps4e8f2d5c.jpg

f7_zpsd6306351.jpg

f8_zps51c7c33b.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Alright, step one is to work from the lowest subdivision. This is integral to building forms in the sculpt. I also highly recommend looking at some sculpting timelapses in order to gain inspiration.

0007598180.jpg

Find some images to base your headsculpt off of. It doesn't have to be accurate to it, so long as you get an idea of the planes of the face. What Bagel linked is a godsend, as you can look at those and match the proportions to your own sculpt.

Do you draw at all? I started to learn anatomy by just copying out of pilates books and such. Really gives you a good idea of the aforementioned silhouettes that are noticeable in the human body. Anything that allows you to study the human figure will be to your benefit.

There's quite a lot wrong with your sculpt, but that's okay. Keep working at it, perhaps even start again, and see where you can go. Use as much reference (such as the skull below) and take as much time with it as you need. And post here for sure!

There are many tutorials on youtube which show you the basics of sculpting heads in zBrush, but you can look at actual sculptors, too. They're just as beneficial, so long as you understand the techniques used to achieve the sculpt and can replicate them.

skull.jpg

Remember that you can also use the see-through slider on the zBrush hotbar to change the transparency of the application. This way you could have your sculpt laying over your reference.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Stirls, i was using dynamesh and increasing the resolution as i went. Did that because i bought Steve Lord's Female face tutorial and that's what he did, he indeed starts low and have a very ugly skull to work with first and just keep refining. I always try to get inspiration from other artists, i'm indeed inspired but my skill isn't high snough to meet my expectations, but i won't give up for sure.

I bought Rafael Grassetti's anatomy pack and i watched him sculpting the face several times, however i still can't make it right. I guess i will start again, this time keeping it low until i have something like the image you shown.

As for the references, i was using Penelope Cruz because i already had a lot of good resources from the course so i went with her. I also have a lot of good reference pictures from a lot of angles, but i feel like when i make right one side of the face the other one just mess up and feels like an infinite cycle xD.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Finalhart, if you want references directly in your ZBrush scene, google Spotlight and how to use it to get images places into your scene for reference.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Panda, i might give that a try, for now i've been putting my ref on the right and zbrush on the left(single monitor). I really want to train my eye but i will try both ways to see where it goes tomorrow when i start over.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so i went super low poly this time i can see a face but i can't really tell if its female or not. I wanted to know if this is a good starting point or if should i keep refining it more?

f10_zps64ce8873.jpg

f11_zps17415d62.jpg

f13_zps4a8f74e9.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. Start from here. Match the proportions, placements, and forms you see on the planes of the face as best you can before moving up a division.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Panda, should i be seeing a female face with that polycount before moving up a division? I'll keep refining to see what i can do with it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't concentrate on seeing a gender yet. Keep it simple, make sure you see a face first. Or at least, a planar-based face.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Currently, work on back of the skull, jawline, cheekbone and forehead area. Nose could be too long, and her mouth maybe a bit higher.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Remember to use the smooth tool and the move tool (at a large size) a lot at this point, change the smooth strength to maybe about 30-ish.
    Work on the jawline, chin and basic shape of the top of the forehead/back of the head.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i'll work on it this weekend and see what i can come up with on monday.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have something now because i couldn't sleep early last night. Thanks a lot for the critiques guys and that Smooth at 30-ish was great xD.

ss2014-11-30at012443_zpsc03f35b0.jpg

ss2014-11-30at012401_zpse89b5866.jpg

ss2014-11-30at012409_zpsa11208a2.jpg

ss2014-11-30at012420_zps905ec159.jpg

The 3/4 view and front still don't convince me. Is the back of the skull ok?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks better.

How does it look agains tthe Asaro head reference that was provided earlier? That's really the only thing we're checking against at the moment.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the front in this one looks better but there's something i don't like and i can't see what it is :/ if it's good enough what would be the next step?

ss2014-12-01at012547_zps4469c202.jpg

ss2014-12-01at012527_zps54200159.jpg

ss2014-12-01at012536_zpsa53fc96d.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subdivide once, but seriously just focus on making the planes of the face. Don't smooth it out so you can attempt to see a real face just yet. Focus on nailing down the planes first.

Use trimDynamic like it's bread and butter.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I'm thinking the face is a mystery to you because you have no idea what is involved, as in bone structure and muscle groups. Look at diagrams of the face, old drawings, some medical ones as well, get to know the names of these muscles and bones, go to youtube, or even draw them yourself, so you get an understanding of the head and its underlying structures.

The struggle is real when you don't even know where to start.

Do more studies. If you are weak at something, then work on it. For instance, the nose. Your nose has very little to no structure of what a nose looks like. Look at drawings and breakdowns of noses and apply it yourself. Keep applying until you don't even need a reference. And then move on to the next one.
    Look up zbro in youtube. That's a good place to start.

tl;dr
    Unravel the mystery of the human face by studying. Then apply. Good luck.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright, i will get those planes no matter what and get me sometime to study more of the face and skull, i already had done that and thought i was ready enough but i wasn't. Zbro z, human figure and anatomy books all the day and then i will return to this one and see if i can make the planes right. Thanks a lot everyone.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a word of warning, the anatomy stuff takes a lifetime to learn. Temper your expectations that you'll get a huge chink of it done during ONE project. It'll be hudnreds of sketches and models before significant progress is made, typically.

That being said, early learning tends to create leaps and bounds in understanding, so that's awesome!
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, i am aware of it. I will end up making a lot of faces but in the end i'll get my female face to have on my portfolio, even if it takes months. It's summer here and i have until march to squeeze my brain before i start doing software engineering again :(
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't want to start a new thread so i will just post here. So.. I'm currently working on this dude, he's kind of old but not that old maybe 40-50ish, i'm a little stuck on this one so any critiques and feedback would come great from you guys!

YdluwB4.png

ez6JYa7.png

fPQ2jp9.png

STFFHdH.png

lDtgoQW.png

Also...any tips for stylising him? i've never stylised anything just doing realistic stuff to practice. What i would want to stylise is maybe getting him towards idealisation.
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Stylizing is something you should really only do after you are able to nail realistic anatomy. Concentrate on getting your base shapes and forms feeling anatomically correct first. You are improving but you have a lot of work ahead of you, faces are very difficult and most tend to over-sculpt them, adding deep recessed details where they should of been slight and subtle.

Check out Rafael Grasetti's tutorials on character sculpting on gumroad (https://gumroad.com/grassetti). If you purchase it he gives you the sculpt to analyze as well as a great 3d ecorche for reference. Something else that would be useful is investing in an ecorche statue from anatomytools.com or purchasing a human 3d scan of a face so that you can tumble around it and view an accurate representation in 3d from all angles.

If you want to be a character artist it is absolutely imperative that you study the hell out of anatomy and continue to do so throughout your career as it is something that no matter how good you ever get you can always improve upon.

The 3d Ecorche and scans are great instead of being limited to 2d reference images that only show a handful of views that are usually slightly warped by the FLV the lens was at when the photo was taken.
  • Krikor Demerjian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well from your first one to the last good improvement .. nice job
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you dwgagner, yeah i am aware of the importance of anatomy i already own grassetti's video series, they are real good, i should watch them again with fresh eyes. Now that i see it, the lips are not looking good, it's supposed to loose fat when you get older but i think i haven't nail it correctly.
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Finalhart, I think this last male head you posted could still use a bit of work, but it is waaaay better than your initial female head. You obviously studied hard in your 9-month hiatus from posting head sculpts here. Kudos to you and keep at it. I can see that you now have a way better idea of the underlying planes of the skull and muscles.

A few misc things stand out to me. First off, the hair isn't adding anything to the model, just leave him bald for now until you delve into hair sculpting techniques for Zbrush. That's way more of a technical exercise than an anatomy exercise.

Looking at him in the profile view, the tilt of his ear looks wrong. Maybe you're going from a photo of a specific guy who happens to have atypical features, but in general, when viewing profile view, the ear tilts back towards the top and forward towards the bottom.
    Example: Brad_Pitt_Palm_Film_Festival.jpg

His mouth and chin look a bit flat. Think of those models of teeth at dentist's offices. Looking directly up or directly down at the teeth, there's a pretty steep angle change from incisors to premolars/molars. The canines kind of sit at the point of that angle. That's approximately the curve that the face follows, though the face is rounded out and not quite as steep as the teeth, due to fat and muscle. Look at your head model from the bottom view and make sure it curves enough. We tend to picture people from the front view and think of lips as a straight horizontal line but really they follow the curvature of the face.
    Example:
    pins+at+neck.jpg

Another thing about the lips - the left and right bottom edges of the lower lip tend not to be strongly delineated, certainly not as much as the upper edges of the upper lip. You've sort of outlined the lower lip in your sculpt. This line does exist delineating the red pigment of the lip, but that's more of a color change than a shape change. The lower lip sticks out and then gradually indents and flattens until it hits the bulge of the chin. Describing this in words is kind of hard, so if you're confused, look again at that last image I posted. The *coloring* of the lower lip creates that sort of upside-down-rainbow-shape outline, but the form of the flesh does not.

One last critique. The upper eyelid tends to protrude farther forward than the lower eyelid does. I think you have their planes/angles mostly correct but on your sculpt the lower eyelid protrudes forward farther, with the exception of one bump at the lateral (outer) ends of the upper eyelid. (Also the lower lid on your sculpt seems kind of curved and mushy but that's comparatively minor).
    Examples:
    profile-human-male-face-smiling-close-up-14865556.jpg
    and
    UpDpwnHogarth.jpg

That last image is from a head drawing book by Burne Hogarthe, which I find really helpful. There's also a good facial expression/anatomy book by Gary Faigin.

Great progress, keep posting!
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krikor: Thanks! sorry i missed your comment. To be fair, I think any other person could have done it better in that time frame, didn't have much time to practice :/

What I can share with you guys from what i learned from Scott Eaton is the importance of the skull, if the skull is not right, then your face won't be right either. Studying different kind of skulls and trying to see the skull inside the face is pretty much what helped me. On top of that you have the muscles and the fat deposits, but really the skull will give the proportions of a real face, nothing else. So you want to get to a point when you can have X Ray vision to see the skull inside someone's face.

Xxl62mb.jpg
    dlXPX5p.jpg

Severed: Great info there, thanks a lot! Specially the lips viewing them from the bottom and knowing that about the colours really helped.

So, here's an update of this guy:

1qALDKi.png

aGvhz6X.png

LS73xUs.png
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Great improvement. I'm not a character artist so I can't give high level critique, but it's clear you're listening and learning, keep going
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    you're definitely getting better, and I respect your persistence in wanting to learn.
    keep in mind that while the jaw and chin are pretty square and angular, the mouth is more cylindrical. right now your mouths are still looking pretty flat.
    9d884e710be82d0f71d387a244d066cb.jpg