Home Unreal Engine

Trigger animation

GhostBlades
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GhostBlades polycounter lvl 3
So I've been working with Unreal 4 for about a week no - I am wondering - so I have a drawer that I have animated to open and close and I am trying to find a way that I could have the character in fps mode go up to it and press a designated button to open the drawer and close the drawer - by triggering the animation - stopping at the end of 1 - in the open state and stopping at the end of the 2nd one in the closed state - I am fairly new to blueprints - if anyone can point me into the right direction

I want to use the same method for opening doors as well...is it possible to do so? most of the tutorials i have seen do not use animated/rigged props in their tutorials - which is better?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I also don't use pre animated/rigged props, and it always worked just fine. I simply import my meshes, and animate them via Matinee. For triggering the animations, I use trigger volumes+a key pressed event (Kismet) in the case of button. I use the trigger volume to detect if the player is even enough close to the button so he can press it or not. And when the player is enough close, and he pressed the button, then it plays the Matinee animation. For movable door's collision, I use dynamic blocking volumes that I attach to the actors inside Unreal, So the blockers animations can follow the meshes animations. All these stuff worked fine in every case in UDK and it can be used for many other things, and I'm sure you can make a similar solution via Blueprints-Matinee, I'm just not enough familiar with blueprints yet, so I can't give you code, just the idea from behind it.

Here is a video from when I used the method from above on many things (doors,platforms,dynamic blocking volumes, cillision detection, key pressed events)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm7DIQHl5zE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm7DIQHl5zE[/ame]