Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feline - sculpt to engine [WIP]

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
floon greentooth
Hey guys & gals!
I recently started to work on a Feline from Monster Hunter to improve my Zbrush skills, but decided to go one step further and try to get it into an engine.
Since I have never brought a character from Zbrush into an engine yet, I feel quite insecure about the next steps.
Before I take it any further though, I would love to get some feedback of you on the current version.
Right now it is only the highpoly inside Zbrush and a sloppy 20min polypaint job.
I am not really sure about the hands and feet (all time classic, I know :poly136:), so I will probably spend some time on them. Also the Eyelids are not merged yet into the body.

Concept (Capcom):
w8ZQ4pi.png

Orthographic View:
fkzwMW5.jpg

Render in Color:
t7HIyow.jpg

Replies

• B_Korth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B_Korth polycounter lvl 8
    Wow this looks really good :) Excited to see the progress.

Sorry I don't have any advice, novice myself.
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice style, adding some hints of the fabric and fur could help though I'm sure you're getting there.

The only real crit I have, and a character artist might know better, but wouldn't you want to model his legs a bit more extended? Or is he a display piece only?
  • floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    B_Korth & YakZSmelk thank you both for the reply, I'm glad you like it so far. Your feedback really means a lot to me.

About the fur and fabric, it is still just a sketch so I can "feel" the character more while working on him..her(?).
    Nothing that I plan to keep, but I agree some hints of the material would be nice.

Talking about the pose...I was so focused to get as close to the concept as possible, that I haven't put any thought into that . Glad that you mentioned it :)!

An other thing that I realized:
    I don't like that the vest has 90 degree angles. I created the vest via Panel Loops and creased Polygroups. What I did not know was, that I can soften the crease by decreasing the "CreaseLvl".

I hope to tackle some of the problems tonight!

Edit:
    I just found out that they are actually spelled "Felyne" ._.*
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The crotch seems awfully broad; some of that's in the concept, but yours is even wider. Most mammals have a fairly small distance between their legs. It's the difference between "lizard-hipped" creatures like, well, lizards, and "bird-hipped" creatures like pretty much all other terrestrial animals.

Your design has a fuller belly than the concept.

The lower leg is quite short - shorter than the forearm - but that seems true in the concept as well.
  • Kurodius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could use a bit of detail work on the texturing, specifically on the fur. Otherwise it looks great. I would like to see an image of the mesh.
  • floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    So I'm back with a little update:
    I took DWalker's advice and made the crotch more narrow. I might also slim her down a bit, but I actually like her being a bit chubby.

I also extended the legs a little and started redoing the hands.
    I added a missing finger and will add an toe, since the 3 that I initially went for don't really work.

Kurodius the texture is still a sketch, so yeah there is a lot of detail missing ^^.
    Also I'm still in Zbrush/Dynamesh, so I guess a wireframe shot would not help too much.

LqApC7w.jpg

I'll be in vacation for a week so the next update will take some time. Again thank you very much for your suggestions, they really help with the model and my motivation :)