Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texturing Advice - Rocky surfaces

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! I just finished this piece I made to learn how to model and texture rocky surfaces. I would really like to know what you think about it, and if there is anything I can do to improve on rock modelling and texturing. I would really appreciate if you post some tutorials, your workflows or anything that could help me get better.

This is the piece with different lighting conditions:

Column_Light.jpg

The piece and the references I took:

Column-refs.jpg

The maps:

Textures.jpg

And the high poly:

HP.jpg

I really hope you all like it and can also give me some advice on how to improve it.

Cheers!

Replies

• Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    My only concern is that the damage at the sides is not really visible. The noisy texture in combination with normal map only damage make it nearly invisible. The damage on the sides can be dirt but its hard to see damage.

Maybe make the damaged parts brigther. The damage comes later so the erosion has not enough time to make the surface the same as the rest.
  • cptqwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptqwark polycounter lvl 3
    From your reference it's worth noting that broken pillars are pretty sharp and angular at the point of the break. Yours has a very soft falloff, as if it's been sanded or buffed. It might be nice to add a bit more contrast so the damage doesn't look as 'lumpy'.
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys! Thank you very much for your answers!

I think you are right, the damage is barely visible and it should be sharper.

I would really like to get some advice on the maps, what to do to avoid the paperish look it has. Thanks again for the feedback!
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    use your curvature map as a guide for where to add wear, it'll make it pop.