Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Kayle and Morgana

Replies

• Uhni20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My biggest crit would be the "smoothness" of the piece overall. I would say if you still want to work on the piece and really polish it, break up the materials more with subtle spatters of value, even the light rays feel too "smooth". Atmosphere dust and debris in real life would be floating in the air to add a slight grain to it and break it up and cause it to look softer. If you want to really push the piece work and refine it i would say work on on the materials and lighting more and give it that realistic umph.

Right now it looks to "smooth" with hot and soft highlights on the metals of Kayle. Try adding really making parts of the metal "sharp" and add subtle value shifts in the armor to give it depth. Hopefully these images illustrate what i mean. You can see in the highlights they really pop and the armor doesn't look smooth like 1 color blending into another, it has subtle changes in it to splatter in it to give it depth.

n0CAfmY.jpg
    Ab7Qf5w.jpg
    k2wYHZf.jpg
    WK1XSNc.jpg

96BOZxF.jpgDecee2C.jpg
    This blizzard video address's both lighting rays and metal values as well around 1:01.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bApCVUrSvko

If you apply this to this piece or the next one you are working on, I have no doubt that you will win.
  • Jelligeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelligeth polycounter lvl 3
    Ahhhhh, thanks for the great references and feedback! I'll try to incorporate it into the current piece, and definitely into the next one if I make it :D Thanks a lot!
  • Jelligeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, added some details, sharpened some edges. Didn't want to add too much detail since the LoL style seems to be pretty clean as a rule. I think imma call this one done unless anyone else has any valid crit :)

morgana_vs_kayle_020_by_daoyiliu-d866gdu.jpg
  • Jelligeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gahhhhhhh taking too long to get to Jan 30 xO