Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help a n00bie Student: 3D Environments

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Wolves polycounter lvl 2
Hi there! I'm currently studying Games Art at University and would love some help.

I'm working off this beautiful concept art from Kung Fu Panda 2 and would like to make it as close to the picture as possible.

KFP2-Peacock-Throne-Room-Concept-992x426.jpg

I'm slightly lost on how to do the bottom part currently to make it look like the real image. Should I model the shape in Maya?

I tried doing it with ZBrush and it just looks a mess.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I think you were on the right path in ZBrush, you just needed to up the resolution and work with the trip and polish brushes.

You could also just model a scale individually and duplicate it. It'd probably end up being easier.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    U picked a nice concept:)

I would start of by modeling the scales and the golden ornaments that go up the pillar in maya. ( basic simple shapes) subdivide in maya and Zbrush for detailing

I would also "model" the red part in maya first ( cylinder) then subdivide it a little in maya and then again in Zbrush:)

im guessing the red part of the pillar is wood the scales could be wood also, aswell as the golden ornaments

I would suggest to look at some real life reference from that region aswell ( temples etc....

Ohh and the bottom part I would model in maya :)

Hope that helps a bit