Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Science Fiction Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mr grimm polycounter lvl 9
So I decided to use all I know and finally hammer out a decent Sci Fi environment for my portfolio.

Concept art is not greatest strength, so I tend to take concept from the internet like everyone else and start from there. Once I make a few things, I might add or subtract a little here and there. Either way here's my progress so far.

screenshot000.png

screenshot001.png

screenshot002.png

screenshot003.png

I have the modular pieces working pretty well. This isn't everything, but it's the screenshots I have atm.

Here are the doors I borrowed from the interwebs as well as the hipoly. Some is Halo, the other I need to find out so I can credit that man.

albeeng-halo-4-unsc-space-station-door.jpg
screenshot007.png

Sci-fi%2Bdoor%2Bbased%2Bon%2BQ4%2Bconcept.jpg
screenshot005.png
screenshot006.png

cleandoor3.jpg
screenshot004.png

I need to tweak some geometry on a few things, but at the rate this is moving, the environment should at least be in UE4 with normals, light mapped and lit by Sunday.

Replies

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Looks awesome man, maybe add some more geo on the second door, ( rounded corners )
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Also, the doors are looking really flat. None of the geometry makes the models pop. I noticed you are taking the basic shapes from the concepts, but you are leaving out a lot of the things that make it look functional. Instead, you have details that are lines extruded all over the place.

Also, I noticed a lot of your details are using 90 degree angles. This won't transfer to a bake very well.

Keep at it! Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, you're both right. And Josh, I'll definitely be adding more geo to these pieces, I got some feedback earlier on that from a group of friends. Hearing it again only strengthens that critique. I'll post more later.
  • fandiwhuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fandiwhuang polycounter lvl 9
    nice and clean ...good job m8 :D
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played with different lighting schemes, I might go back to the original, but, it's progress.

HighresScreenshot01.png
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I think the lighting looked better before as you could it was a lot easier to see your work. Right now it's pretty hard to see any of the detail work on the walls. Also IMO it doesn't feel realistic that someone would actually light a corridor that dimly, it does however look pretty atmospheric.

I like the modeling and texturing on the walls, but as Josh said the doors need some more work.

Also that door concept was made by Autodestruct for Quake 4.
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went ahead and made some changes according to critiques and personal insight, I appreciate all of your input as well. Please, keep it coming.

ScreenGrab%2B01.png

Played around with lightmass and AO settings in both world and post process properties. I think this is good for now, lighting wise, I really want to get back to modeling and baking. You are all right about the doors so I'll be starting there first.

oh and I'm really liking the dirt mask in the bloom settings. Really helps create the sense of this being recorded by a camera.

ScreenGrab%2B02.png

I appreciate the feedback Nos, I used it before I made the changes too. Also, thanks a bunch on the artist concept info. I'll be sure to credit and look for more of his concepts.
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More geo and baking. Played with some more lighting as i expanded.

HighresScreenshot00000.png
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm officially done with lighting for now. I'm going to start modeling and texturing.

Current%2B(2).png

MovieFrame00369.png
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some more geo, playing with some piping ideas.

Changes%2B1.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Dude this has come a long ways! Keep going! Looking good!
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Josh, I appreciate the positive reinforcement.

Here's an update on some of the modeling I've done.

Screen01.png

Screen02.png

Screen03.png

Also, got a little side tracked, but decided to work on some camera angles for a demo reel, here's my 3rd test.

http://youtu.be/qGRf3L4EogQ
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still have a lot of work to do, but it's starting to unfold.

HighresScreenshot00003.png

HighresScreenshot00009.png

HighresScreenshot00005.png
  • MrPie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Really awesome stuff! Keep going >:D
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided I hated my lighting and deleted all of it.

This is more of what I was looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn5Au5nw37A&feature=youtu.be

Things need to be fixed and I made things different colors to see what looks better, but you get the idea.

Please keep in mind, the bullet hole decals are just place holder, I still need to UV/Lightmap some meshes and make a few passes at Materials. And the main door needs to be textured. Those guard rails are going to be revamped. As for the bullet holes, I'll be spending some quality time making better ones with different patterns. But I feel like this is about 90% done now.

Also, I'll be making new props, like crates and such. I like the ones in the scene, but they'll just be place holders for all my sci fi projects now.

Screenshot_01.png
    Screenshot_02.png
    Screenshot_03.png
    Screenshot_04.png
    Screenshot_05.png
  • osed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osed polycounter lvl 4
    looking good, but whats up with all the bullet holes?
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osed wrote: »
    looking good, but whats up with all the bullet holes?

Just giving it extra love, don't want it to be just another corridor environment. Giving it a little story.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could be a bit more subtle with the bullet holes, and have them be focused in one area, so it creates a focal point. Also around that focal point have some large scale damage done to sell the effect. Right now the bullet holes are just reading as noise because they are everywhere and lacking any direction. If you want to tell a story you need have more than just bullet holes because that doesn't really tell the viewer anything, it just makes them ask questions. The story comes from hinting at bits and pieces of who, what, where, when, and why.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Lighting looks much better, keep going and add those decals, bullet holes, scorch marks, destroyed geometry, but agree with others when they say tone it down, less is more, just a few dotted around will intrigue the viewer without it looking like a mess.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    +1 for less bullet holes. I really don't think it's giving any personality or going to individualize your scene. Besides, standard "bullet" holes don't sell too much story in a high techs environment like yours, maybe scorch marks from laser beams or some organic bio weaponry - melting acid, yea, acid.
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely make appropriate changes to the scene. I'm going to be slowly working on this from now on. I will be starting a new project, but this will get attention throughout the month.
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    Really enjoying this! Keep the updates coming.

And is anyone else getting a Perfect Dark Pelagic II vibe?
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta love the holidays, family time is crucial to me, but... back to work.
    I decided to continue on this piece and finish it within the following 2 weeks.

Made some changes and modeled some more. Still have much to do, but I feel confident I'll get it done in time.

HighresScreenshot00000.png

HighresScreenshot00002.png

HighresScreenshot00001.png
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    man I hate these crates.. sry to tell you but they look like you were super lazy and just kept them basic cubes with a little bevel... I feel like these are getting most of my attention though..
    might just be my own perception though

the cylindrical ones for example work a lot better.. probably because they are kind of asymmetrical

I love the lighting and the corridor pieces work well too.. gives me a little of that alien isolation vibe
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay wrote: »
    man I hate these crates.. sry to tell you but they look like you were super lazy and just kept them basic cubes with a little bevel... I feel like these are getting most of my attention though..
    might just be my own perception though

the cylindrical ones for example work a lot better.. probably because they are kind of asymmetrical

I love the lighting and the corridor pieces work well too.. gives me a little of that alien isolation vibe

I can see why you'd think I got lazy, but it was actually concepts from Daniel Graffenberger, specifically from Quantum Rush. Here's a pic from his deviantART page.

qr_props_01_by_talros-d6pm1lk.jpg

Here's the geo with normals and AO I made.

Crate_Progress.jpg

My mistake on not posting it earlier, I did on my blog, for some reason I thought I did here too.

However, I do feel ya though. I've been wanting to make some of my own crates, I'll replace them once I get around to it.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I would go with a different Crate design, they just seem very simplistic and kind of out of place, because everything else in the scene seems a lot more detailed
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    this should suit the style of the scene a lot better, the crates better, try one of these

quake4_crates2.jpg
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks sziada, I've seen that quake crate sheet for the past two years at school. Either way, still great reference. I might make one of those. Mean time I hammered out a quick ammo crate.

Normals and AO only

Crate.png

New%2Bcrate.png
  • gerbilho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gerbilho polycounter lvl 2
    So did you finish this? Where can I see the final result?
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I did.  Wow, sorry, I forgot to add my portfolio link when I finished back in 2014.  I'll post my completed renders soon.
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better late than never...

I did finish this in 2014.  it landed me a job.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RkGLW
  • Sheers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks bro!! lol