• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Damn. Now there's going to be a bunch of "are MMOs dead?" discussions. Really sad we are never going to get to see all of the art and work that was poured into it. I always feel bad for the artists that cannot share their work.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I don't think MMOs are really the genre to chase. I think a pho-MMO like Destiny where you seamlessly enter areas where other players exist is a much more tangible goal for the MMO genre.

Phantasy Star Online was also like this. Kinda funny that PSO was also a sort of APRG shooter of sorts, like Destiny.

You can make some incredible linear content, yet also have certain aspects of the game that encourage co-op play with strangers. You could still even have factions and world PVP too.

That's pretty much all that matters to me in an MMO.

I also find that MMO are considerably less attractive to me as I get older. I have way less time to play games than I did 10 years ago. Back then an MMO was awesome because I could play for 5+ hours a day.

Now I can only play for and hour or two tops, which is not enough time to get invested.

With my hour or two a night I'd rather play some super fun, more linear content with highly polished gameplay that's easy to get in and out.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I heard it wasnt even an mmo anymore. Hasnt been for quite a while. That game was redesigned and restarted like 3 times.

Sucks for anyone who was working on it though. 7 years and nothing to show for it...
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    wow that is a long time
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    YES! Now they can stop bing silly and make Warcraft IV!!!
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I also find that MMO are considerably less attractive to me as I get older. I have way less time to play games than I did 10 years ago. Back then an MMO was awesome because I could play for 5+ hours a day.

Now I can only play for and hour or two tops, which is not enough time to get invested.

With my hour or two a night I'd rather play some super fun, more linear content with highly polished gameplay that's easy to get in and out.
    Absolutely this. MMOs, sandboxes, even GTA V or Watchdogs can't cut it for me anymore. Not enough cool stuff happening per gaming session.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    hindsight is 20/20 ..maybe we will get lucky and get some kind of Art Dump...lots of phenomenal artists worked on this.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    low odor wrote: »
    hindsight is 20/20 ..maybe we will get lucky and get some kind of Art Dump...lots of phenomenal artists worked on this.

I really doubt it, were never got any details of the project besides the absolute basics. No screen shots, information about the new IP, no concept art, or settings, or themes.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I think the idea of this single game that people spend all of their gaming time on is long passed. I'm sure people still do it, but not in the droves that occurred with WoW.

The problem with MMOs is that if you're late to the party, you have a massive and lonely barrier of entry before you can really "play". It alienates new players which means the core player base is only as large as the initial wave.

A lot of developers seem to fall back on PvP, which isn't as demanding of your time, but in a rock-paper-scissors formula, players eventually realize that it's about which class you're playing and not skill. The Battlefield or COD model works better because there's little to no separation in the player base and progression requires significantly less time.

I'd love to see a dev come up with a system that's accessible, but still rewarding to long term players with raid style game play in a PVE environment.

In any case I hope Blizzard got something from it. It's great to see a successful dev that can take its time, that's why all of their releases are incredible.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    why can't they try something smaller but more diverse like Valve has been doing (maybe Valve isn't a particular good example since they can't count to 3 anyway).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are both smaller and more diverse.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I was really looking forward to seeing the announcement of a Blizzard title that was not part of its core franchise!

oh wells.. :(
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I wouldn't get too riled up over this, the way i figure it, and i could be *totally* wrong but I think its more likely that Titan 'as the world knew it' is dead. Noones loosing jobs, noones going anywhere, the 'Titan team' is still feverishly working away on 'project *insert cool name here* and its going to be badass.
  • lurked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lurked polycounter lvl 10
    I've always liked that Blizzard would rather cancel a title than put out something that didn't meet their expectations, even after this long of time. It flies in the face of all the rushed or yearly released things that you see nowadays.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I really just hope no-one is let go because of this decision. I do feel sorry for all of the individuals that worked hard on this project with probably nothing tangible to show for it now. But I do really admire Blizzard for pulling the plug on a project that they feel will not deliver the way they want it to. This is not the first time they have done this.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I suppose it wouldn't have been a smart idea to release another MMO anyway considering WoW is still very successful. It must be really frustrating to have 7 years of work thrown out the window like that, but I'm guessing everybody involved will get to work on another cool new project.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    brb gonna cry my heart out. :'(
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    the only sad part in this whole situation is we might never be able to see any of the awesome art created for the game :(
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'd rather it have the plug pulled then end with another colonial marines. Blizzard seems to have a plan for the assets by the sounds of it so we may just get to see them!

Regards to the artists who were working on this.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Alot of true comments here.
    Sadly we wont see an art dump, i think.
    I hope that we will see some news on Warcraft 4 -
    Maybe a WOW 2.0 (engine update) and ongoing stuff.

This is good to read !
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    So what ?

We don't know what is was beyond MMO. I guess it never left prototype stage with white boxes and and random art pulled from other games ;).

Besides that, I never expected anything good from Blizzard MMO, looking at WoW.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So. Who wants to leak some art then.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Is this gonna be like another internal game where only new Blizzard employees can play ? Like, you know, Starcraft:Ghost and Warcraft Adventure ?
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Sad that titan is cancelled, but not unexpected. Lets hope they start warcraft 4 (i want to believe)
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Can we do a fundraise for a lawyer - and someone rushes with a cam through the studio.? ^^
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    I heard it was to be an MMOFPS - Maybe Destiny was just too similar?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    ouch , that hurt a lot.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Damn you Blizzard for stealing all of Polycount's best artists and hiding 7 years of their work.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    doc rob wrote: »
    Damn you Blizzard for stealing all of Polycount's best artists and hiding 7 years of their work.

Yeah, that's my major complaint.

As far as Blizzard employees being able to play canceled games, I don't know if it's different there but I've never been able to play canceled projects, the internal servers get shut down.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    I just hope the artists that worked on this can at least put their stuff on password protected subpages of their portfolio sites or something for any future applications etc. Because if there is a 7 year "gap" in your resume with nothing to show for it, that would just suck unbelievably hard.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Polygon article reply that made my day:

"Now that Destiny has officially launched, Blizzard is safe to announce that they've cancelled Titan, when really they just gave away much of the work they had done to Bungie, who then finished and released the game.”
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    iniside wrote: »
    So what ?

We don't know what is was beyond MMO. I guess it never left prototype stage with white boxes and and random art pulled from other games ;).

Besides that, I never expected anything good from Blizzard MMO, looking at WoW.

AaT28.gif

Really sad to hear this, been hyped for the potential of this game for a while.
    I've played WoW on and off for a while and I really enjoy it, and with how great the gameplay of Diablo 3 felt I had high hopes for some kind of MMO that combined the best of regular multiplayer Blizz games and WoW.

That and they took like, every awesome Polycount artist and threw at this project, which shot the hype through the roof.

Oh well.. not the first time blizz cancels a game, just hope we get to see some of the art from it ,or hear what their ideas were.

Heck showing what they had might be a good way to gauge audience reaction and potential popularity.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    it's great this didn't end in any layoffs. based blizzard

now one of you needs to bite the bullet and leak all the content built
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I feel sorry for all the dudes that joined the team. What a huge waste of time and effort.

I'm glad i declined the job offer around 2007-2008. Too many ex-blizzard workers are now in Riot Games, including the recruiter :).
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    You feel sorry for missing out on working with some of the best video game artists and learning from them for 7 years?

Declining such opportunities (if it even happened) is not something I would brag about :)
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Blaizer isn't entirely wrong. If I had nothing to show for the past 7 years of work I'd be quite soul crushed.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Blaizer isn't entirely wrong. If I had nothing to show for the past 7 years of work I'd be quite soul crushed.

Gotta agree as much as it would be awesome to work with all that talent 7 years and nothing to show for it would be kinda shitty.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator

QFW, i could not said anything better.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not saying its great, and there's a lot of work I wish I could show, I just get annoyed when people start acting all superior.

There's no telling what will come out and what will get canned, games get cancelled all the time, for all sorts of reasons, except with most studios that usually results in the entire team being laid off...
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    rawkstar wrote: »
    You feel sorry for missing out on working with some of the best video game artists and learning from them for 7 years?

You said this...
    rawkstar wrote:
    I'm not saying its great, and there's a lot of work I wish I could show, I just get annoyed when people start acting all superior.

and now you say this... "acting all superior"? did you thought well what you have said?

Games get cancelled all the time, that's obvious. I have worked in 3 cancelled games i worked in between 1-2 years, and it's painful not to be able to showcase anything.

but man, 7 years hurts a lot, i'd say much more. And more when you CAN'T showcase anything. For me, those 7 years are years i would have lost. There are too many greater studios out there, and that's a fact. I see you are the only one acting all superior because you may think "working in blizzard" is the very best thing in this world. And you are wrong if that's the case, because you are only another pawn/worker they can dispose off. To be happy like a child because: "oh man, i work in blizzard! i'm very important!" is quite childish. A job is a job, and you should know it (ask your ex-blizzard pals that are working in Riot Games right now).

I don't know if you read some opinions in the gaming forums/portals. The blizzard "brand" have been damaged in certain measure. There are too many harsh comments.

Now a note for thinking: If "smalls" korean groups can produce games such as Bless or Black Dessert with a fraction of the money blizzard have spent, and in less years, well.. tell me where are the "best video game artists", in korea?.

Maybe I should go to korea to learn from some of the best artists of the world.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    why even care too much? you can be assured that any artist working there will be welcomed with open arms in any other production. ots not like those artists twisted their thumbs in those 7 years.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Blaizer: Putting aside the entirely subjective idea of which studio is 'most superior' I can honestly say I will most likely never again work on an art team that was so stacked with talent. And while it's always disappointing to work on projects that don't see the light of day, I learned a ton from the experience and I'm a much better artist because of it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Any chance the art may appear in other games? Seems a waste to do all that work, and just destroy it. Why not make it another area of WoW? (I've never played it, so not sure if that makes sense)
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As someone earlier said, why introduce another mmo game while wow is already the leading game in that field. I think they realized they were biting more than they could chew so they spitted it out.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    Gotta agree as much as it would be awesome to work with all that talent 7 years and nothing to show for it would be kinda shitty.

Nothing to show for it is one thing. 7 years of experience working alongside top shelf artists is another. That's priceless.