Home General Discussion

Best Mini-Map Systems?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
What are the best mini-map systems you all have come across in games? Specifically ones that are always on a small portion of your screen, and have to account for Z (overlapping/layered level-but not space). Ones that don't require more than a glance to see whats up. Trying to get some inspiration here.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I always liked mini maps from Call of Duty
    vuHxnUr.jpg

It's small, simple and effective. It's very easy to see what's going on even in intense moments.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Super, unfortunately I need it up at all times, small, and easy to read. Fwiw avatar will always be facing up, so not a flight/space map.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The traditional GTA style minimap is good for something you can just glance at but not that great for overlapping spaces. Perhaps a good solution would be a layered map that would reveal details based on your location. So when you enter a building, the art for the first floor of the building would be composite onto the map, when you go up a floor you just swap out the floor 2 map, etc... Not sure if you want to spend the draw calls on a complex minimap system though :P.

A good waypoint/enemy marker system I've seen on minimaps is an ▲ for points above you, ▼ points below you and ■ for points more or less level with you.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    A good waypoint/enemy marker system I've seen on minimaps is an ▲ for points above you, ▼ points below you and ■ for points more or less level with you.
    I agree with this -- it's especially nice if they're color-coded as well as using the symbols. Just try to avoid both red and green together.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya i like it when you have the difference symbols for above/below and level to the player,i also like minimaps that put outlines around buildings and things that are solid so you can easily see in the minimap where you can and cant go.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cool, my kind of thread. I'll try and think of some good examples.

Diablo 2 and 3 spring to mind. Diablo 2 had an isometric map which worked well. Both games allows to have the map bigger and central on the screen as well. For when you want to breeze through areas you have already cleared, very useful imo.

But yes, in most games and especially arena shooters. A good map is a one you only have to glimpse at and understand instantly.