Home Technical Talk

Problem with the Maya Extrude Tool

I would like to extrude inwards to create a inset on a model. However when I do so the extrude does not carry the border edge of the face that is being extruded inwards.

Is there a technique to fix this, or a another tool in Maya to prevent or fix this from happening.

Also is it a bad habit to extrude inwards? (Figured it wouldn't make sense to extrude inwards considering extrude means to pull out.)

Here is an example of the problem:
LMvQd2n.png

Much appreciated for any help!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's expected to behave like that, Maya doesn't know what you plan on doing with it. Typically I run an edge loop first along the side, so I have the geometry for knocking out that side face. After the extrude, snap the face down to the loop: Move tool, hold d and v to adjust pivot -and- snap to border vertex and release. Then hold v while dragging to snap the face into place, delete the two excess side faces and weld.
  • WiredminiMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats quite a bit to follow but thank you for the help. :)
  • Rayvhen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayvhen polycounter lvl 2
    My recommendation is to essentially extrude twice. The first extrusion you will just scale the face down in all directions. Then I would extrude that new face, straight back using the move tool in the axis you are wanting to make your indentation. If I knew how to post images on this site (sry I'm new) I would show you what i mean.
  • rzthrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rzthrun polycounter lvl 9
    It's expected to behave like that, Maya doesn't know what you plan on doing with it. Typically I run an edge loop first along the side, so I have the geometry for knocking out that side face..

that's my workflow also. One could also use the Cut Faces tool to create the vertices for post-extrude merging, but the Insert Edge Loop tool is usually going to better since its less likely to create ngons.
    Rayvhen wrote: »
    If I knew how to post images on this site (sry I'm new) I would show you what i mean.

Re: Rayvhen:
    Off Topic: yea, had the same experience. new too. Seems that images have to be hosted from another server - like imgur or etc - and referenced via hyperlink.
    Unless there something I don't know ??
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats quite a bit to follow but thank you for the help. :)

It reads a little complicated, but it's a pretty simple process.
  • Seehr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seehr polycounter lvl 9
    WiredminiMike what everyone is trying to explain you is that you could add some more edges (as the ones selected in the image, to avoid this problem:
    tumblr_nbawwbkNVb1qftanso1_1280.png
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not!

I'm assuming that he doesn't want that border on the side, that face should be knocked out.

SideKnockout.jpg
  • Seehr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seehr polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah now that i read everything again, i agree with you. Then it is also an easy to solve problem. If you need a script for perfect extrudes i can give you one i wrote myself which allows you to perform a prefect straight extrude, and also choose perfect angles. Or avoid this kind of culling. Cheers and sorry for bad interpretation of the problem.
  • WiredminiMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's actually what I wanted throttlekitty. No worries Seehr, the more knowledge I can get the better!

Any scripts you guys would recommend would be awesome too. Maya is awesome, but a lot of the scripts have so many practical applications that Maya just doesn't seem to have.

Thanks again guys for all the help! :)